August 2-3 Overnight Run (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Planning on heading over to Guanella Pass Friday August 2 and camping overnight with a return Saturday afternoon. Gonna check on access to the high altitude basins as one of the trails crosses private land that I have not been on since about 1993. There is also another trail on Guanella that leads up to the Argentine Mine and great ovderlooks of Silver Plume.
If the trail access falls thru, then will consider a Camp Hale run or Schofield Pass run.
Need to test out new camping gear and new on-board hot water shower. Anyone interested? :)

Can't make this one as ill be at All-4-Fun but there is a chance we will be doing that trail also. Doing trails all around Leadville.

Ace

Last edited:
I'm interested but on call. Let me see if I can find someone to cover my shift.

That other trail is Waldorf. It's a really cool area. I ran that about 16 yrs ago. I think Argentine was the highest passable road at the time. I remember sections that were covered with scree that could be move like marbles under your tires. There's a short optional that heads up a creek bed that seemed rough to me at the time. Beautiful area! Have fun!

Decided against going over to Guanella Pass as some recent maps of the area do not even show the old trail I was last on in about 1993. Must have been closed by the Forest Service. Gonna take the Mrs. over Independence Pass, see Twin Lakes, back westerly over Cottonwood Pass and into the Taylor Park area. Into Almont then up to Lake Irwin and the Irwin Lodge before setting up camp either there or Paradise Divide area, maybe at the trailhead to the "Ole Yule Road that takes you over to the Marble Quarry.
Saturday morning we'll head into the Schofield Park area and down into the Devils Punch Bowl crevasse. Out thru Crystal City and into Marble. May return over McClure Pass and thru Delta on the way back to Grand Junction.
Looking forward to the hot on-board shower Friday night!:steer:

John...you may qualify for the Iron Butt award with your drive today. Been over both Paradise and Schofield in the past few weeks. Beautiful drives. Nice thing about Schofield is it hasn't changed in years...takes a little care around the Punch Bowl and the rest is challenging but fun. Too bad you won't be around CB on Sunday...you'd be welcome at our annual family/friends festivities, including a whole lamb on a spit over an open fire. Headed up today.

Well, changed our route a bit but had a blast. Left Friday morning and took the Mrs. thru Aspen and over Independence Pass. Visited Twin Lakes then west over Cottonwood Pass. Spent some time in the Taylor Park area then up to Paradise Divide for the night. Serenaded by howling coyotes after dark and startled a buck at daybreak who came into water at the small lake we camped beside.
Decided to explore the Taylor Park area more on Saturday so returned via Schofield Pass. Visited the "ghost town" of Tincup, drove past Mirror Lake and wheeled over Tincup Pass. Tincup Pass made Schofield Pass look like a paved highway.......very rocky. Then we dropped into Saint Elmo which is also a neat little ole ghost town. Lots of UTVs and ATV's. Rained off and on. Decided to head up Hancock Pass to get to the Alpine Tunnel but a steady rain kept us from hiking to the tunnel. Went over Hancock Pass and down into the small but still thriving town of Pitkin. Enjoyed visiting Pitkin. Hwy 50 back to GJ. Visited many nice campgrounds that we are planning on returning with our camper and ATV's in the future.
Great weekend. Rockcrawler ran great!:cheers:

You covered some of the same ground I did during All-4-Fun. Our camp was just south of town near Saturday's Shell station. I also came over Independence Pass Sunday afternoon. I had forgotten how narrow that road is in places.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom