Events/Trails Aug 7-9,2020 The Commuter Triangle (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Bambino840

Jive Turkey
SILVER Star
Threads
Well folks here is the plan. Been yipping about this for awhile so here it goes.

Completely against club policy I am proposing an event in summer. I know risky but I'm a rebel and thats why I lose the election every year to Tyler.

Friday morning 7 am - depart for first trail possibly from Spruce Grove or meet others in Drayton Valley or even at ... - The Brazeau Dam - 14000( estimated possibly on the high side) water crossings but doable in a short day. After a successful completion commute to the kiosk trail head at the Ruby Falls trail - camp there or close to it

Recommendations- AT LEAST extended axle vents. Trail is easy but there are a pile of water crossings. Also major oil leaks in your rig should be addressed cause water and stuff.

Saturday Morning 9? - should try and be in the trucks and head to the falls. A good day would allow us to not camp there. A bad day will have us camping along the trail somewhere so...

Good Day- We head up to Hinton and then into Brule where I marked some nice camp spots from last time- set up camp- possible communal supper

Bad Day- We camp somewhere between the falls and Brule- possible communal pot luck supper?

Recommendations- spare tire( lots of rocks ),fuel for gassers maybe, recovery stuff, warm clothes and sleeping gear. It looks pretty but camping at the falls can be cold. Also give your steering a good shake. The river bed will have you believing all hell has broken loose under there so give your self a little confidence that it actually ok.

Sunday - One way or another either make it to Brule or wake up there- relatively easy but very scenic and different. Wrap the day up and say good bye from our final wheeling destination which would be the Folding Mountain Brewery located between Hinton and Jasper- all ages , good local beers and food

Recommendations - same as above

Welcomed Extras- A ham radio has been an asset on the last few runs. The hand held can be acquired for next to nothing on Amazon although mine has already crapped out but I can see how practical they are so I will probably install a truck mount one( looked at Peters set up and became green with envy). Dont loan a hand held to Salmon he thinks they are disposable.

Warnings - Not a sponsored event, extreme heat warning with temps in excess of 20 deg C , bare feet and exposure to the sun could be detrimental, cold drinks become tolerable even enjoyable , as well as very little darkness, coozies are used to keep your drink cold not your hands warm ( weird right?).

So if interested speak up, thoughts or anything else that comes to mind.

O my captain my captain. This is a tremendous first move as the newly elected president, just tremendous, tremendously tremendous.

If only they had the finger emoji

Not required

To spend my bday with you weirdos or not to spend my bday with you weirdos is the question. :hmm:

Due to “the sickness” Emma and I will no longer be heading south to do Fordyce and Rubicon so I believe you can count us in for this one.

I would recommend driving over the cardinal divide as a way to to Brule. That also gets you access to fuel in cadomin if required.

On maps and online forums they say the road is washed out, which is true, and you can no longer get a truck through, partially true, but any vehicle capable of getting into ruby comfortably will get over their road blocking erosion berms with no problem.

A ham radio has been an asset on the last few runs. The hand held can be acquired for next to nothing on Amazon although mine has already crapped out but I can see how practical they are so I will probably install a truck mount one( looked at Peters set up and became green with envy).

This is the radio to get:
It is a simple, single band radio with Digital mode, which provides very good clarity compared to older analog tech. It's relatively cheap. Pair it with a mag-mount antenna like this.

I have a wedding to attend in Panther River in July. If it gets cancelled, I will come on this run. Hell, I might do both anyway...

Tara and I are definitely interested. We would leave Calgary Thursday and camp somewhere close to the trailhead that evening.

is this still a go? It's about a month away, which is just about right for me to start getting ready for it.

I am still a go

We are in. All in. Like all 5 of us with a rare appearance from my wife on an wheeling long weekend!

I'm tentatively in with my LX. Heads up to anyone coming up from the south the bridge south of Pembina Forks on 40 is closed and almost got washed out as of last weekend.

I'm tentatively in with my LX. Heads up to anyone coming up from the south the bridge south of Pembina Forks on 40 is closed and almost got washed out as of last weekend.
I'm not sure where that is. between Nordegg and the trail head?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom