Asian Orange- ‘79 pickup (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Soooo, In typical fashion for me, what should have been a simple steering column swap turned into an all day affair. The ‘82 column was longer than the original in my ‘79. Decided to remove everything from the new column and swap it over to the old only to find the turn signal stalk from the new one was actually broken and didn’t find that out until after it was all installed. With a lot of help from @Carlp336 we ended up totally disassembling the mechanism and between the 2 sets of parts were able fix it. Glad it’s in and it turned out great but it was one of those jobs that shouldn’t take long but somehow always end up taking the whole evening.

AB5EB914-8C90-408C-AC38-6A7F2C1D6DC9.jpeg

Sounds like most of my wrenching adventures. Turned out GREAT dude!

That steering wheel…..gorgeous.

I am waiting on what you are going to install above the radio. Three FM presets are the bomb. I do like the truck a lot. Eventually, I will get another truck. My poor wife…..

@Comet Well the original factory radio lights up, fingers crossed it will still actually play. No speakers at the moment but that’s on the list. If it still actually works I’m going to keep it and probably find an unmolested dash and swap it out. In the mean time I’m probably gonna cram an old CB in there LOL.

I have a Midland with your name on it somewhere if you want it. Whatever model everyone was cramming in their 80 series ashtray cubby. Let me know.

I'd like to see a period correct, fully reburb'd CB :) kidding

How about a free aluminum bull bar to go the front? LOL kidding too. :)

Gauge cluster swapped in and now working. The first couple of times driving afterwards the tach wasn’t functioning but after a couple of trips it started working. Gonna pull the cluster again, clean all the contacts and while I’m in there replace the lights with 194 led bulbs to brighten up the dash a bit. Speedo is close to 10 mph off running the 255/85’s.

17664BB0-1E73-4A56-8A1E-B5471945A8AA.jpeg

I usually like the soft warm glow from the gauges in older cars but light output from the instrument cluster in the pickup was anemic at best. Decided I would swap out the bulbs with LED’s. Well, it’s definitely brighter LOL. The picture makes it look obnoxiously bright but it really isn’t, I actually like it much better so far. Did a lot of reading about the bulk pack LED’s from Amazon, would have been much cheaper but a lot of reviews were great at first but many people stated after a month or so they would begin to flicker. I opted to just go with the Sylvania bulbs from OReilly’s. Let’s hope they last.

16575CE9-ECEF-4AEF-96CC-925CD04C91D5.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom