areas of concern for 3fe? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just pulled the head off my 3fe and could not find the cause of the oil and water mixing. The gasket looked fine or rather, I couldnt find anything that looked like leaking. head bolts next to exh ports had carbon buildup (seemed like exhaust carbon) on the threads and were very hard to take out.
without goin to the machine shop, are there any areas to look at for cracks on the head or block?

Have you checked the head for cracks?

I havent cleaned it up yet, damn mo fo is so heavy and big that i have to prep someplace to do all the work. Actually, i inspected the combstion chmbr side but not where the valvesprings were. I could not see any cracks.

You could take a straight edge to both the head and the block and check it, but I think your best route is a machine shop. If somethings warped I'm guessing the head, if they got hot, they were more inclined to do it. Good luck.

Also make sure if you have the head off that you replace the plug over spark plug number 5. This is a common problem that the plug pops out and it then pumps the oil out of the engine cause engine failure. Do a search on the 3FE ML archieves for something about the plug or ask the question and you will get lots of responses...

Stew

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom