Are there any Machinists on mud? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
One of my calibration tools has a broken part that I can no longer buy. It’s common for this part to break due to idiots over tightening. I bought the tool used. I really need this part so I’m reaching out on mud to see if anyone has the equipment to manufacture a new one.

8F00CE2F-73A3-4354-8FBC-BFD2CE0DE935.jpeg

75709F20-2E51-4F6C-8547-89A76DC936E7.jpeg

How much are you willing to spend? Brass, right?

Yes I just need the brass part. This is ruff measurement of the item. And if we can come to a basic agreement on cost I would send everything in the photo.

If at all possible I’d rather support other Mud members first prior to sending something out to another source. That’s why I’m asking in mid first.

I wanted to mention that Im going to have a local shop machine the part out. Its going to cost me 286usd for three. So I no longer need anyone.

Wish I would have seen this eariler. If/when you are getting close to needing more let me know. For three of them my price would be a fair bit less than that for three of them. My shop is pretty busy but I could whittle them out in a weekend.

I bet the “Guys” are used to putting 50 ft*lbs or so on that size hex head when torquing higher grade steel automotive bolts. So your hollow brass bolt under the same torque appears to be failing in shear. Might consider changing the design while you’re at it to prevent breaking your calibration tool in the future. I’m an Engineer but have become our company’s default machinist until we find a real one...could be a fun little project if you think you might need a permanent fix

Lol. Love it when a conversation begins with that. 😂
Most are cheapasses and don't appreciate equipment and tooling costs...

I wanted to mention that Im going to have a local shop machine the part out. Its going to cost me 286usd for three. So I no longer need anyone.

Sorry I forgot about this thread, that's actually not too bad a price.

I bet the “Guys” are used to putting 50 ft*lbs or so on that size hex head when torquing higher grade steel automotive bolts. So your hollow brass bolt under the same torque appears to be failing in shear. Might consider changing the design while you’re at it to prevent breaking your calibration tool in the future. I’m an Engineer but have become our company’s default machinist until we find a real one...could be a fun little project if you think you might need a permanent fix

You are supposed to tighten it just over finger tight. People no matter how many times they are told like to torque it down to hard. Over time it just gets weaker and weaker until it brakes.

Wish I would have seen this eariler. If/when you are getting close to needing more let me know. For three of them my price would be a fair bit less than that for three of them. My shop is pretty busy but I could whittle them out in a weekend.
Ive yet to drop it off at the shop. I own a health care agency and we have been swamped even before cover-19. I think I said this was part of the vernier adjustments. It is actually part of the pump piston. This tool allows me to increase adjusts less than 1psi when calibrating diesel injectors.

You are supposed to tighten it just over finger tight. People no matter how many times they are told like to torque it down to hard. Over time it just gets weaker and weaker until it brakes.
Maybe it would help if instead of the hex head you just had a knurled cylinder there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom