Are new 4Runners going for MSRP in 2021? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Obviously it's an interesting time to shop for a 4R or any Toyota right now. Dealers are maintaining pretty much zero new Toyotas in their inventories and I'm seeing 2 or 3 year old used 4R's in the sought-after colors with asking prices 15k above that of the price for a brand new one.

I'll be heading to the dealer to order a 2021 TRD Pro within the next day or so. I've spent my life avoiding dealerships, along with brand new cars. But staying off of the used market seems like the best way not to burn a bunch of cash.

I'm just curious if 4R's are going for MSRP right now? Less? More? This will obviously vary in different parts of the country. They're quite popular and highly valued where I am in Boise. I'd just like to arm myself with as much knowledge as possible going in. Thanks!

Here in Long Island NY they are all over the place. I've seen as much as 20k for a pro above msrp. I got one for a few k above msrp in lunar rock. Yes I'm an ass for paying above but I really wanted specifically a 21 TRD Pro in Lunar and was late to the game as I didn't expect to rid myself of the Grand Cherokee. Got 209k miles out of it so it was just time to cut losses and move on. I'd rather have paid a bit more for my dream rig than miss out. It is what it is. Nuts out there right now.

Forgot to add, I will say this. It's not just about what they are charging right now and inventory. You have to call many places, ask many questions, and each time ask what is inbound. Get them to look up exactly what you want inbound and also find out when they receive new information for allocations.

Forgot to add, I will say this. It's not just about what they are charging right now and inventory. You have to call many places, ask many questions, and each time ask what is inbound. Get them to look up exactly what you want inbound and also find out when they receive new information for allocations.
Yeah I hear ya, and agree! I've been shopping casually for many months, and intensely for a couple weeks. I would now consider myself a hardened veteran in the art of buying a 4Runner in post-covid 2021. I had to learn quickly 🤪

I started out close to home, at the Toyota dealer in Boise (where I've had some pretty bad car-buying attempts experiences in the past). I told them I intended to get a hold of a 21 TRD Pro in Lunar Rock and my salesperson just laughed at me. I guess that wasn't enough, so he brought his manager over and he laughed some more at my wife and I. They said "there would have been a slim chance of getting a 21 TRD Pro, but Slim's left town". Word for word. They tried to sell me some other options, and I passed. I told them I was confident I can find what I'm looking for. They reminded me that they've looked across the region, and that there was zero chance.

Well, I guess Slim didn't leave town after all. I found a few 21 TRD Pro's in Lunar Rock just down the highway, with minimal effort.

If you're reading this and have found yourself in a similar position, try the smaller dealerships. The larger dealers in my area (Boise, Salt Lake) had waiting lists 6 months+ long. A manager in Salt Lake literally hung up on me while trying to have him add me to a list. For TRD Pro's the larger dealers seemed to be getting 2 TRD Pro's per allocation. Interestingly, the small town dealers were still getting 1 or 2 allocated to them, but they were receiving very few calls, comparatively. So it was pretty easy to find the exact thing I wanted, unspoken for, just up the highway from me.

This is pretty obvious advice, but don't believe a word that a salesperson tells you. I know that my Boise dealer could see that there were several TRD Pro's in my desired spec in dealer inventories just up the road. But they just lied and said there were none anywhere to be found. If they weren't going to sell it to me, then they certainly weren't going to help lead me to it.

Regarding MSRP, it's all over the place. In very general terms, on a nation-wide level, I found that on the east coast, 4R's were going for MSRP. But west of the Rockies, it was a different game entirely. Dealers are doing market adjustments way over MSRP. When I called the dealer in the next town over, they had what I wanted, but at 5k over MSRP. They told me they "had to" because CA is selling 10-15k over MSRP. I called the next town beyond that, and they were 1k BELOW MSRP. You'll never guess where I bought.

In SoCal I have a friend trying to buy a 2021 TRD Pro and all the dealers are quoting him at least $10k over. he called me for help and I told him to search small dealers in other states. So ridiculous. Same dealers are emailing me offering to buy my 2015 Trail only about 7-10% less than when I bought it new. Tempting as I'm looking to buy a pickup truck, but I think I'll hold on to my 5th gen for a while.

I got offered $32 and the $34 for my 2015 trail in SoCal. I didn't pay much more than that for it to begin with. Each day that passes I start to consider it more but I promised myself never to sell another 4runner. I always regret it.

Most car salesmen are jerks. I had an assistant manager tell me one time, while buying a truck, he should kick my ass.
I bought a quicksand Tacoma in Arizona three years ago. The local dealer said none were available in that color and it would cost me $800 to ship one from out of state. I found one exactly like I wanted at a dealer 100 miles away at dealer cost. Toyota has an inventory search function on their website.

Car prices are crazy right now, so it is time to sell. Prices will drop again.

Paying slightly less than msrp for white 2021 trd premium with kdss, no sunroof, black trd wheels, wilderness package. Should be here in about a month. Pacific Northwest.

Update:

Just emailed and decided to wait for the 2022 model. Some new features i think i would like to have. I hope it's worth the wait.

Last edited:
paid msrp for trd premium w/ kdss a few weeks ago. had to wait a couple of weeks. soCal. Would have been hard to find a used 2020 for the same price.

I was shopping around for a TRD Pro found a few at a dealership in Virginia , I usually buy from Koons have pretty good deals but found another dealership Lustine Toyota …
I know there is a shortage on vehicles , sales guy sent me a email with a 4K rip off add on calling it a “recordation” fee and a sanitizing fee for another 1k .
Scumbag dealership told them they can keep there Pro and I will spread the word about there Fees .

I just got a deal on a TRD Pro paid MSRP 55k but its Lime Rush … Not hating the color , not my first choice , seeing it in person was better than online , my local dealer had one going out and had another someone ordered but backed out .
No markups on it , they are a Toyota and GMC dealer . I traded a newer GMC truck I was not using and getting cash back too boot .
They say I should see it in 2 weeks … I’m in no hurry I have too many vehicles .
There are dealers out there not ripping you off if you can believe it .

07FC0C13-EC2A-4486-AD36-8FBFB44ED02B.jpeg

CF5266EC-C1E0-4C02-855E-435D090FC7C5.jpeg

Dealership in Omaha still selling at MSRP

Just bought a TRD Off Road premium from Big Two in AZ for msrp. Was out the door in about an hour

MSRP is the new normal. A buddy just picked up an F350 for work. Any more than that will hurt in the future.

All prices I've been getting for a TRD ORP in the NE are all 5-6K over sticker...ain't happening

This was the first time I ever paid MSRP for any vehicle … I rotated out 3 of my 2019 vehicles and made a lot of money on all the trucks , so paying MSRP on the 4runner did not hurt so bad .
The crazy thing is I sold / traded 3 2019 vehicles and got 2 new 2021 jeeps one wrangler rubicon JLU diesel and one Gladiator rubicon also diesel and picked up the 2022 TRD Pro 4runner , I was not even planing of the Pro , no mark up and was a local dealer , I could not say no .
I just called a local dealer , out of my network , my buddy found a Pro 4runner lime just like mine and same as most jerk off dealers , hide the mark up till you contact them …My first question is the dealer marking up the price … DEL Toyota outside Philadelphia adding 6k … the worst I seen was a dealer on Staten Island NY 25K … LOL

This was the first time I ever paid MSRP for any vehicle … I rotated out 3 of my 2019 vehicles and made a lot of money on all the trucks , so paying MSRP on the 4runner did not hurt so bad .
The crazy thing is I sold / traded 3 2019 vehicles and got 2 new 2021 jeeps one wrangler rubicon JLU diesel and one Gladiator rubicon also diesel and picked up the 2022 TRD Pro 4runner , I was not even planing of the Pro , no mark up and was a local dealer , I could not say no .
I just called a local dealer , out of my network , my buddy found a Pro 4runner lime just like mine and same as most jerk off dealers , hide the mark up till you contact them …My first question is the dealer marking up the price … DEL Toyota outside Philadelphia adding 6k … the worst I seen was a dealer on Staten Island NY 25K … LOL
There are brand new Rav4s in Cali going for $94k

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom