ARB Transit Bag - Insulating Study and Findings (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Dissent

Questioning my life choices...
Threads
I pondered buying a Transit Bag for my ARB 50 for it's insulating properties but can't justify the price without any solid feedback on whether the insulation would affect the fridge. I borrowed a transit bag for a week and was surprised that it didn't affect the temperature at all. The temp, the swings (high and low) and the duration between compressor cycles didn't change at all.

I used a Bluetooth SensorPush thermometer wire tied loosely to the top of the separator in the main compartment. I've measured the temps for 5 days including times with the bag on and bag off, sitting in the sun and sitting in the garage. No difference at all.

I have my fridge set to 35 degrees with a 4 degree offset to get it close to actual readings inside.

Sitting in the garage, plugged into 110v power with all 4 windows down, I saw very consistent fluctuations from 30.8 to 32.9 averaging 31.8 between 2:00pm and 5:00pm in the ambient 107 degree heat. Complete high/low cycles took 30 minutes on average.

Sitting in the parking lot in direct sun, with a 4x windows cracked 1" on my 80 series, I saw very consistent fluctuations from 30.0 to 32.1 averaging 31.1 between 2:00pm and 5:00pm in the ambient 107 degree heat. Complete high/low cycles took 30 minutes on average.

Thanks for posting this. I wonder if ARB would agree with your findings. It would be interesting to find that out. ARB says this on their website about the transit bag : An ARB transit bag helps insulate and protect your fridge. It helps avoid dings and dents and helps your fridge operate more efficiently." I'm thinking that maybe the protection against dings and scratches is its main purpose, and that is OK, but maybe the cost should be a little less then......

I have the cover on my Dometic 50. Not really a fan of how it opens. I've been thinking of running a similar experiment.

Thanks for posting this. I wonder if ARB would agree with your findings. It would be interesting to find that out. ARB says this on their website about the transit bag : An ARB transit bag helps insulate and protect your fridge. It helps avoid dings and dents and helps your fridge operate more efficiently." I'm thinking that maybe the protection against dings and scratches is its main purpose, and that is OK, but maybe the cost should be a little less then......
That was what I came up with.

I pondered buying a Transit Bag for my ARB 50 for it's insulating properties but can't justify the price without any solid feedback on whether the insulation would affect the fridge. I borrowed a transit bag for a week and was surprised that it didn't affect the temperature at all. The temp, the swings (high and low) and the duration between compressor cycles didn't change at all.

I used a Bluetooth SensorPush thermometer wire tied loosely to the top of the separator in the main compartment. I've measured the temps for 5 days including times with the bag on and bag off, sitting in the sun and sitting in the garage. No difference at all.

I have my fridge set to 35 degrees with a 4 degree offset to get it close to actual readings inside.

Sitting in the garage, plugged into 110v power with all 4 windows down, I saw very consistent fluctuations from 30.8 to 32.9 averaging 31.8 between 2:00pm and 5:00pm in the ambient 107 degree heat. Complete high/low cycles took 30 minutes on average.

Sitting in the parking lot in direct sun, with a 4x windows cracked 1" on my 80 series, I saw very consistent fluctuations from 30.0 to 32.1 averaging 31.1 between 2:00pm and 5:00pm in the ambient 107 degree heat. Complete high/low cycles took 30 minutes on average.

Did you compare the power consumption between the two?

Did you compare the power consumption between the two?
I did not. Just compared the cycles between top and bottom temps. I suspect there could have been a consumption delta but the cycle periods should be shorter if that's the case.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom