ARB roof rack for lj78 or kzj78? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Roastchestnuts

TLCA #28675 Salt wagon Fj40
Threads
Does anybody on here use the arb roof racks on their Kzj78 prado land cruiser? I live in the United States and Its hard figuring out if its possible to order one of these from arb? I am guessing the arb parts for mounting would be for the newer vdj76. or maybe the size for the fj60 would work? Any info on this would be awesome! thank you in advance.

I would use VDJ76 as the starting point. I am using Toyota accessory gutter mounts and bars from Australia meant to be used for VDJ76 which works perfectly on the 77 series...which also appears to be the same as the 78 prado body. as far as the roof area goes.

If I am not mistaken, the FJ60 is not as wide...but hopefully someone that knows the differences better than I can confirm.

Last edited:
I would use VDJ76 as the starting point. I am using Toyota accessory gutter mounts and bars from Australia meant to be used for VDJ76 which works perfectly on the 77 series...which also appears to be the same as the 78 prado body. as far as the roof area goes.

If I am not mistaken, the FJ60 is not as wide...but hopefully someone that knows the differences better than I can confirm.

Thanks! I figured that would be the case. I have searched everywhere to find a Australia or Europe ARB parts catalogue with the part numbers for the vdj76. I feel like I have found one before but now I cant find it. Right now I am just running a yakima bar set up but I would like to more easily throw things up there. I wanted one for my fj80 but never got around to ordering it.

@Roastchestnuts

I've researched this a bit, Using the VDJ76 for fitment as the body from front doors back is identical. There would be your usual thule or yakima gutter mount/ bar options or if you are looking for something more like a roof basket or platform rack, I know of 3 options: 1) Frontrunner platform, 2) ARB base rack and 3) the regular ARB Touring type rack. See photos below. I think I am going to go with the ARB touring rack with the flat section in the back for a RTT option. I think the look of this rack matches the 90's era off roaders better than the newer platform style racks, though either would be great I'm sure. I can say from the research I've done, the 80 series roof doesn't appear to need as much clearance as the 70 series wagon does, so I wouldn't gamble on a rack made for the 80. If you are interested, I'll list the ARB part numbers below for the touring rack.

frontrunner.jpg

FRONTRUNNER

76 base rack.jpg

ARB BASE RACK

70touring.jpg

ARB STANDARD BASKET RACK

touring rack.jpg

ARB TOURING RACK

ARB Touring Rack with Front rail only #3800200
ARB Fit Kit (towers, clamps, etc.) #3700100
ARB Air Deflector #3700310
Double Jerry Mount #3500390

Last edited:
Does anybody on here use the arb roof racks on their Kzj78 prado land cruiser? I live in the United States and Its hard figuring out if its possible to order one of these from arb? I am guessing the arb parts for mounting would be for the newer vdj76. or maybe the size for the fj60 would work? Any info on this would be awesome! thank you in advance.
How much clearance do you have where you plan to park?

@Roastchestnuts

I've researched this a bit, Using the VDJ76 for fitment as the body from front doors back is identical. There would be your usual thule or yakima gutter mount/ bar options or if you are looking for something more like a roof basket or platform rack, I know of 3 options: 1) Frontrunner platform, 2) ARB base rack and 3) the regular ARB Touring type rack. See photos below. I think I am going to go with the ARB touring rack with the flat section in the back for a RTT option. I think the look of this rack matches the 90's era off roaders better than the newer platform style racks, though either would be great I'm sure. I can say from the research I've done, the 80 series roof doesn't appear to need as much clearance as the 70 series wagon does, so I wouldn't gamble on a rack made for the 80. If you are interested, I'll list the ARB part numbers below for the touring rack.

View attachment 3058981
FRONTRUNNER

View attachment 3058983
ARB BASE RACK

View attachment 3058985
ARB STANDARD BASKET RACK

View attachment 3058987
ARB TOURING RACK

ARB Touring Rack with Front rail only #3800200
ARB Fit Kit (towers, clamps, etc.) #3700100
ARB Air Deflector #3700310
Double Jerry Mount #3500390
Thanks a bunch! I have been thinking I would go for the standard basket rack one. I think that frontrunner one would work but I like the look of the arb one more. I surf and often have a longboard surfboard and sometimes kayaks up on the roof now with the yakima bars I have. I feel like the standard one would be the most ideal for my situation. Looks like it would be easy to bunji the boards up there. Do you know what the part number is for the standard basket one? If anything knowing the fit kit part number is key for sure! thanks again for your help. what all have you done with your kzj lately?

Thanks a bunch! I have been thinking I would go for the standard basket rack one. I think that frontrunner one would work but I like the look of the arb one more. I surf and often have a longboard surfboard and sometimes kayaks up on the roof now with the yakima bars I have. I feel like the standard one would be the most ideal for my situation. Looks like it would be easy to bunji the boards up there. Do you know what the part number is for the standard basket one? If anything knowing the fit kit part number is key for sure! thanks again for your help. what all have you done with your kzj lately?
With all those boards, maybe the tradie rack would work best with a roller on the back?

1659108291769.png

ARB Roller Kit, Part #3700300
1659113333098.png

Last edited:
Can someone please provide a link to a roof rack for a 1993 Land Cruiser Prado KZJ78?
Which one? It needs to be understood, there isn't a rack for sale that says it "fits KZJ78" that I have found but because the roof and gutter dimensions on the currently in production VDJ76 and other 76 series 5 door wagons are identical, they will work on the KZJ78 4 door. I'll try to list some part numbers below if anyone is interested. Most of these part numbers that I've checked are stocked and available in the USA as they are cross referenced for other USA vehicles as well. Use your favorite ARB dealer and order them. I'd love to see some pics if anyone does it.

Last edited:
Here are part numbers for ARB Classic Roof Racks that will work on KZJ78 or any of the 5 door 70 series wagons. It should be noted, I'm just doing this as a courtesy and a footprint if I need to come back to it. You'll want to verify your vehicle and fitment and assume any risk of ordering something for your situation. This comes out of the ARB international fitment guide for the LC76 series 5 door Landcruiser which can be found here: ARB Application Guide - https://static.atraxion.com/catalogi/2019/arb-application-guide/166/

Full Length Roof Rack dimensions are (2200mm x 1250mm) (86.5"L x 49"W) There is a 3/4 length if you don't want your sunroof covered and a 1/2 length available as well. See catalog

1659112680408.png
1659112820921.png

Deluxe (full basket) Steel non Mesh Rack. Part #3800010 / Foot Pack Part #3700100
Deluxe (full basket) Steel with Mesh Rack. Part #3800010M / Foot Pack Part #3700100
Deluxe (full basket) Alloy with Mesh Rack. Part #4900010M / Foot Pack Part #3700100

1659112732499.png

Flat Rack Steel non Mesh. Part #3800240 / Foot Pack Part #3700030
Flat Rack Alloy with Mesh. Part #4900060M / Foot Pack Part #3700030

1659112786275.png

Trade Steel Rack. Part #3800013 / Foot Pack Part #3700100
Trade Steel with Mesh Floor Part #3800013M / Foot Pack Part #3700100

1659112708194.png

Touring Steel Rack Part #3800200 / Foot Pack Part #3700100

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom