ARB rear bumper rusty mess after 3 Midwest winters (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Like the title says, after just 3 winters in the Chicago area and the ARB rear bumper is a flaky, rusty mess. The black powder coat is bubbled and flaky on the bumper while the trucks factory tow bar and hitch just has a little surface rust. Very disappointed to say the least.
I’m thinking of having it removed, stripped and wire brushed, primed with Corroseal and then shot with a bed liner material. Anyone else have this experience with ARB products? My front deluxe bull-bar has held up fine. It is disappointing.
I’m new to the Midwest and all this rust belt stuff is new to me. I’d appreciate any guidance for saving it and someone that could do the work in the Chicago NW suburbs. Thanks all.

If you don’t go the whole remove , sand blast and either re powder coat or liner coat like Line-x you can POR-15 does a pretty good job over rust seals it out , your surface has to be pretty clean , I did the entire underside of my winter Tacoma driver and seems to be holding up well .
I don’t drive my 200 LC in salt slop stuff destroys everything and these trucks are not cheap .

Here are some picutures. I removed the aluminum step traction plate too and it is all a bubbled, pealing mess underneath there too.
IMG_8004.jpg
IMG_8003.jpg
IMG_8002.jpg
IMG_8001.jpg
IMG_7999.jpg

Hot damn! That is three years?! I thought I lived in a salty area! WTF. I have an ARB bumper on the front. 2-3 years and no where close to that. I will make a jerk comment but you wash it at least 4 times a year? It has competently rusted? Like it was almost forced to rust. Call ARB direct and complain. That is a WOW unless you never hose it down.

Salt and iron

Is this the first time you've noticed the rust? Looks like it's been rusting for quite some time. If your bumper is like that and is only 3 years old, what does your rear axle / frame look like?

Might be a good time to strip it all down and recoat in bed liner material such as raptor liner makes or Line-X. Fluid film behind the bumper after that. I've done this with a few bumpers in the past and it holds up pretty well, even after a couple of winters in areas that use heavy amounts of salt.

If it's within 3 years, I'd contact ARB. I believe their warranty is 3 years. If you're the original owner, probably worth contacting them regardless as that seems premature. Worth seeing if they'll help in any way.

Hot damn! That is three years?! I thought I lived in a salty area! WTF. I have an ARB bumper on the front. 2-3 years and no where close to that. I will make a jerk comment but you wash it at least 4 times a year? It has competently rusted? Like it was almost forced to rust. Call ARB direct and complain. That is a WOW unless you never hose it down.

Salt and iron
I have a front bar too. No rust on it. I have one of those unlimited car wash subscriptions and have it washed, including underbody one or twice a week during winter. I’m the second owner, ARB doesn’t transfer warranties so I’m SOL

What you describe is what gives me pause on front/rear bumpers. All I can suggest is get the truck shot with fluid film or wool wax. I went the wool wax route
+1

I read a post a few months ago where someone was saying they have to buy a NEW steel bumper every 3 years in salty areas and budget for it. This put any dreams of steel bumpers off my mind. I bought an ARB bumper and never put it on.

I have a front bar too. No rust on it. I have one of those unlimited car wash subscriptions and have it washed, including underbody one or twice a week during winter. I’m the second owner, ARB doesn’t transfer warranties so I’m SOL

I remember visiting you in Barrington to see how well the LX rode with bumpers at high speeds. Everything looked top notch back then when you got it.

I had a new 4runner in Chicago and after couple winters was all brown under. Not as bad as this bumper but not that good either. Doesn't surprise me. I had as a different 4runner I have bought from PA which spent 3 years there since new. I couldn't unscrew some bolts and those were breaking apart. Whatever they spray in those parts just eats cars.
How is the rest of undercarriage?

I had a new 4runner in Chicago and after couple winters was all brown under. Not as bad as this bumper but not that good either. Doesn't surprise me. I had as a different 4runner I have bought from PA which spent 3 years there since new. I couldn't unscrew some bolts and those were breaking apart. Whatever they spray in those parts just eats cars.
How is the rest of undercarriage?
The rest is not bad. Just surface “dust”.

How often do you wash your car in the winter? Do you touch up any rust in the spring? That seems truly outrageous as Chicago salt isn't that bad. Ive never seen a Cleveland or Minneapolis truck look that bad that quickly and their use of salt greatly eclipses Chicago’s.

Steel Rust but Aluminum corrodes and salt can eat a hole in aluminum , still need a protected coating . Just curious to compare the corrosion what does your chassis look like ?
You can go Por-15 seals out rust really well if you just do the sand and wire brush , the other route is sand blast and re coat .

For anyone new to the midwest / rust belt it is not just road salt. We also spray brine on the roads before a snow event. You will see that the roads have a greasy looking spray in the travel lanes. This stuff is way worse than rock salt and it is made to cling to anything it touches. that being said, I have the same bumper on my '13 LC and it has the same amount of winters on it. My bumper has held up much better for whatever reason. I also have the ARB deluxe front bumper as well and thats doing good too. However you decide to remediate the rust I would suggest spraying your truck with Fluid Film this fall. It will prevent damage and a nice coating inside the rear bumper will go a long way to preventing rust on the inside of your bumpers, especially the rear one that takes all that salt spray in the wintertime. I spray trucks in the fall in Wheaton, hit me up if you'd like yours protected. 630-484-4o46.

Kevin

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom