ARB Front Bumper Bike Rack? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just wondering if anyone's ever mounted a mountain bike on the FRONT bumper of their truck? There's a lot of steel on my ARB, I was thinking it wouldn't be too hard to bolt some type of bike rack on there. Maybe use some parts from an old hitch-mount rack, which are cheap and plentiful on craigslist.

I put bikes on the roof of the 60, which isn't too bad if you open the tailgate, close the hatch, and stand on the tailgate and load bikes from the rear. The front bumper would be a lot easy for solo.

Sort of like this photoshopped pic of my truck on the way to the Selway River, back in early May of 2005. Was it really that long ago?

ARBBikeRackweb.jpg

3nf3m53oc5T35U45X4b5h747f6ec00e3f12e3.jpg

Bike Rack in Front

Just yesterday thinking of this.
About to get a M100 trailer.
Now, where do I put my bike?
My rack looks like yours.
Mine also folds down, like for the tail gate.
I was thinking having a piece of box steel or a proper hitch receiver welded in the front for the rack.
Will the rack or the bike be in the way . . . . ?
Will it look cool?
Your photo looks alright.

I currently use a sportworks hitch rack.. that I have modded to fit on my trailer tongue and back on the hitch once I drop the trailer (trailer is the home base).

I been measuring the width on the front of the rig and putting a bike there would be no problem width wise but visual obstructions might be an issue.. I think.. welding either a hitch like receiver on the middle of the bumper or a set of tabs on either end of the bumper would work...
getting rid of the front tire would also address the height of the bike....

I need to put more weight on the from on my rig...

My pic isn't to any real scale, I just sized it "about right." I hung my road bike on there the other day and it looked OK. If the front tires dropped too low they could get taken out by a pull-in-to-park sidewalk curb. Wouldn't want that.

My mtn. bike has a bolt-on through-axle front wheel. It's a pain to take the wheel on/off just to drive it somewhere. So, I've been looking into solutions that involve keeping the wheel on.

If you dropped the seat that would help with the visibility thing.

I'd rather it be my fault that I smash my bike up front than have someone rear-end me and destroy it because they were texting.

That photo was of a Craigslist bike rack for sale for $20. Welding a tube on for it would be a cheap option...

I'd like to somehow integrate it into the ARB rack...

RV bike racks hook over a rear ladder. Maybe something could hook over the ARB top tube.

CEZom1M8AlaBpomnU_a4D-pQzumIPiBsz79gQNd2noKr1YY-CCZY-HhS7sqgaY_plCo2TFBGcWVWW98Y79JgyVwyR4C1BcH_yi-a6m0irt28lpWUeQj5zyx2Rw_eQMi9y01bub0nHsjVroaFSIRkv7_NXcdW

YzGiV4jiTrNAByS7AjPY6L4V02kLKhIFubpmGnNz2lwyx4EdwJph_g-bfWBS7oBPyC8niJhnwWfvsKhPm_4o1RNmHvphcAP5KzpPSehawKWPTtQkRzJOHyUxD1gKxqOWVlwLwQJzqNoLCaHvBEPoRZepnZbqS18BQh6yo8vbe3PqTcjrLwLR6yk

yeah Im not crazy about welding any extra metal onto my ARB, so a hook and go type of rack would be great... thanks for posting...

I was trying to figure out some sort of base rack that would be easily bolted into the front of the rack and this is how the bike's would seat/look here are a few pics.... Im also thinking as stated above a rack that you could just hang / hook on the top section of the ARB would be good...

For it to have enough clearance at the bottom and not obstruct the driver's view.. I would need to take the front tire out and seat...
IMAG0433.jpg

Driver's view... no bad eh !!
IMAG0434.jpg

Profile shot...
IMAG0435.jpg

I think two bikes could go on the front with out much issue...
IMAG0433.jpg
IMAG0434.jpg
IMAG0435.jpg

I know this guy made it from Oregon to Alaska with this setup:

frontbumperbikerack.jpg

Reduced visibility sucks. My bike has a through-axle front fork, so taking the wheel off involves messing with a bunch of bolts. I'd like to keep it on.

Right now I have a Yakima High Roller bike rack on my Subaru Justy. It clamps the front bike wheel with the bike upright. Slick, but hard to operate on top of the cruiser.

What about sinking a receiver into the arb and making/buying a hitch mounted rack?

D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom