April 7-8 Norte AZ (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Pitch

Driving from the 2nd row
SILVER Star
Threads
Looking at doing a run through portions of the Navajo Res, crossing into the volcanic fields north of Flagstaff. A waterfall, a river crossing (2), cinders, and one night of camping (optional). Looks like temps should be in the low 70's/30's. Elevations from 4300'-8100'

Meeting: Saturday April 7th, Safeway parking lot, Hwy 89N in Flagstaff (east side of town, just past the Flagstaff Mall). 9am

Stocker friendly (I suspect). No lockers needed. Gas up prior to a 9:15 departure. I estimate 45-50 mi of dirt, and plenty of washboard roads, so we'll air down a few miles down the road (not at the meeting spot). Several bail-out options will have you back to Flagstaff by 6pm Sat, 10am Sunday, or we can tack on some extra mileage and go until Sunday afternoon.

Comm's from me will be old school. Remember CB's?

Last edited:
Would that be the back way via the cinders to Grand Falls and its water crossing?

Likely crossing at Grand Falls, and back again at Black Falls Crossing. Then entering Wupatki.

At this point am a go for this. I have always want to do some back country touring though this area. We do the Loop 395 drive almost annually but that is in a mini-van so what we see is limited from the road. The country there is spectacular and I'm looking forward to seeing more of it. Do we need any special permissions from the NFS or any of the tribes that lay claim to the land out there?

@Pitch When you say "stocker friendly" how friendly do you mean? Can we bring the 200?

Can you elaborate on the river crossings? How deep are they?

If your crossing the Little Colorado River could be pretty deep in the spring but because if the lack of a snow pack it's probably a lot less than normal in the entire area. Good for water crossings but bad for viewing Grand Falls which is pretty impressive when there is a good flow.

So, I have no idea what the river crossings look like, but I am not expecting much flow (it was sub-10cfs last weekend). So, Grand Falls will likely be less than Grand. Normally, I wouldn't expect to be able to cross the LCR in April.

I expect it to be stock friendly, even for a 200, but I'm not sure. Hopefully all trucks will have skids. Its not a ROTM, so I'm not pre-running it to check. I certainly would not discourage anyone with any Cruiser.

Technically we should have a Navajo Reservation permit, but we are only traveling to and from Grand Falls on the Rez, where a permit is not required. Soooooo, I am not obtaining one. No parks pass should be required, as we are passing through, but not using the Sunset Crater, nor Wupatki facilities.

Just stumbled upon this post while doing a little research.

2 Days of Action - Grand Falls Cleanup 3.0! Fri/Sat Apr 6+7

I do not have a Facebook account, so I do not know what it says, but it looks like at least 20 people are going for some clean up event. Maybe someone with a Facebook account can see what it says?

Just stumbled upon this post while doing a little research.

2 Days of Action - Grand Falls Cleanup 3.0! Fri/Sat Apr 6+7

I do not have a Facebook account, so I do not know what it says, but it looks like at least 20 people are going for some clean up event. Maybe someone with a Facebook account can see what it says?

I don't have a Facebook but have a pup who does. He let me use it. Basically doing a clean up the falls Friday and Saturday. Really should effect the run as this is collecting trash in the area of the falls where pigs coming to see the falls leave their garbage. Driving the section of the Navajo Reservation between Gallup and Farmington it not just the visitors who leave garbage.

As @Pitch said the water crossing at Grand Fall will not be much with low flow. Many locals live on the other side and cross it, some in cars. With that said Grand Falls is not to be missed in a strong rain, it can be violently exciting.

Last edited:
I'm leaving at 0615 to head up to a Flag on Saturday morning if anyone wants to caravan. Want to allow a bit of extra time just in case.

I am hearing that as of today, the LCR is not flowing at all. So, river crossings may be nothing more than a dry wash, and the Falls will be dry.

A great weekend with @verruckt1 and @Saddletramp!
Both of our water crossings were sadly bone dry on the Navajo Reservation. We took in the Wukoki ruin in Wupatki, Nat Monument. We cruised through velvetty cinders, and camped below O'Leary Peak. A few rain sprinkles chased us to bed, and a night of mild temps (low 50's at 7,100'). The wheeling was stocker friendly due to the lack of springtime meltwater. A few sections of 4-low wheeling allowed us to flex out suspension components, and get a little pucker on some off camber shelf roads.

IMG_20180407_100413251.jpg

IMG_20180407_113751645.jpg

IMG_20180407_132542884.jpg

IMG_20180408_093449257.jpg

IMG_20180408_093402114.jpg

The inspiration for the trip was seeing dry chocolate powder falls and the 'big house' where Pete was discussing his grandfathers stories when he was little chasing bison and elk across the plains. Hey if Elizabeth Warren can claim native heritage why not Pete?
IMG_3262.JPG
IMG_3265.JPG
IMG_3269.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom