For Sale Apparent Scam: Beware (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Typical scam, apparently, where seller has real low price, with a few photos, and once you contact them, now they are out of country working, car is somehow now in canada, and it belonged to dead father. BUTTTTTT, if you'll just pay a hefty deposit for me to send the car to you, you can pay on receipt.

What I don’t get is why don’t these scammers make the price the least bit believable? Put some time into your craft. Do research....$4600...I mean come on. Anyone that sees that who is the market knows it is waaay to good to be true. Make it just believable enough, but a smoking deal will get 100 times the response. I guess the scammers really are just dumb and lazy.

Good way to contact: Hello, please tell me your best and final price and take this ad offline so that we wont be disturbed in our transaction. My agent will come to pickup your truck and I will send you western union for $7500. Kindly deposit this amount and use the extra to pay my agent for the delivery. Then you can keep the difference.

as you can see I've seen a few scammers in my life. I pretty much have all the lingo down. Had one that pulled the "im moving to a new army base and cannot be around to show you the item". I asked where and they told me a location...I said "hey great, I live there too...we can meet in person and discuss the details...of course there was more bull about how that wouldnt work.

Hi all. This is my first post on the forum. I've been lurking through the site for the past few weeks absorbing knowledge as I would like to purchase an FZJ80 Land Cruiser. I recently came across a very similar scam and thought I would share it as it has gotten a bit more sophisticated than the above, with many similar elements. Maybe this will help somebody avoid getting scammed.

In summary: Vehicle is in Canada, seller is in the Middle East for work, vehicle is available because Seller's father passed away, and has contracted a professional shipping company to manage the transaction. The shipping company is similarly named to some legit companies, but does not appear to be legit as Google searches do not find it, despite them being in business for 15 years and being an international company. Their website is 20-days old and full of stock photos and little information.

Details of the shipping company they are pimping:
Central Transport Limited, based in South Portland, Maine
Website created 9/26/2019 and registered in Bahamas

Email with all the juicy bits:
Subject: Re: Toyota Land Cruiser
Date:
October 17, 2019 at 9:17:21 AM CDT
To: MikeyGU2

Hello again,

You can call Steven from Central Transport Limited at +1 (207)800-4522 and he will help you with everything. If he is not answering just leave him a voice mail and he will get back with you.
The company is Central Transport Limited. Please read their HOW IT WORKS webpage: Central Transport Limited - Buy it ! Enjoy it ! and decide if you are agree or not.
To be able to start this transaction you need to register on Central Transport Limited website. After the registration is complete they will notify me and I will be able to start the transaction.

Thank you

Subject: Re: Toyota Land Cruiser
Date:
October 17, 2019 at 8:27:39 AM CDT
To: MikeyGU2

Hello,
the car has zero problems.

Clean title, reason for selling is that the car belonged to my father who recently passed away.
I don't need another car so I decided to sell it.
At the moment, the car is in storage in Calgary, AB, Canada. I was forced to put it in storage because of a bad buyer, he told me that he had the money ready and when I shipped the car he said his loan hasn't been approved. I will not repeat the same mistake, so if you need a loan I don't think we can deal.
The price includes shipping to any state. The car has an US title. Because of the fact that I am quite busy with my job and unable to travel back to the States (at the moment I am located in middle east) I will use a professional shipping company, they act as a 3rd party.
They will protect both of us in this transaction and will take care of the entire sale process from payment, shipping, title transfer service or/and (if needed) returns and refunding.
There is a 7 days inspection period, once you will receive the car in which you have the possibility to do an inspection to any authorized service of your choice before the company will release any money to me.

If you are interested I can give you their contact information, you can call them and they will explain you how this deal can be done in a safe manner.
I have attached the pictures to this email.
Thank you

Hello, I know this is an old thread but it has me curious. A few years back, I was selling a vintage truck and got one of those emails asking me to remove the ad and that they would buy at asking price plus some extra for my troubles, of course. They said they would come and pick up the truck. I said I wouldn't release the truck until the check cleared and he said that was ok. I smelled a rat since he asked nothing about the truck and no one pays more than asking unless you're selling something extremely rare. So my question is how does the scam work? If they are letting me wait until the check clears, how are they scamming me? Or did he just say ok about the check to make me feel good at the time but would never really continue the deal? I almost wanted to continue with the deal just to see what the catch was, but I needed the money more than the lesson in grifting. Also, I've seen many auto scam websites that take the same ad copy and pictures but change the vehicle location or VIN in the ad. These a-holes really make it difficult to legitimately search for a vehicle out there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom