anyoone looking for a hj60? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

hmmmm...so maybe I'll have to rent the auto transport instead of the tow dolly. That one at least has surge brakes on it.

To tow a trailer loaded with a 300D Merc with an HJ60, I'd recommend a class 5 hitch, load distribution hitch, tandem axle, trailer brakes and this would require at least one 24v-12v converter wired into your braking system so you can trigger trailer brakes and 24v bulbs in the trailer.

This package wont be cheap, Mark. Even with this package, most on this forum would consider the idea ludicrous. not me of course....:)

Anyway, my humble reccomendations...

To tow a trailer loaded with a 300D Merc with an HJ60, I'd recommend a class 5 hitch, load distribution hitch, tandem axle, trailer brakes and this would require at least one 24v-12v converter wired into your braking system so you can trigger trailer brakes and 24v bulbs in the trailer.

This package wont be cheap, Mark. Even with this package, most on this forum would consider the idea ludicrous. not me of course....:)

Anyway, my humble reccomendations...

It may be cheaper to just rent a uhual truck and trailer combination unless you were planning to buy and fit all the things you need. Or find a lumber hauler who would cut you a deal to take it back into the interior. I have often seen them back hauling vehicles and other bits to help pay the fuel.

Elbert, thanks for the pix...I do believe that's the one the Uhaul tech was recommending me.

Kim, I've been searching this site diligently and have come across many of your posts about the load you've trailered. You certainly know what you're speaking of! I have already fitted the trailer logic circuit and it works great with my trailer lights tester...fed from my converter. I discovered that I have an additional brake light signal wire, I think that must be for the trailer brake signal, which I just left alone...oh well...:rolleyes: I was wondering why the receipt had "trailer brakes" on it...at some point in its life, my HJ60 had the whole kit and kaboodle wired up for a trailer with the wiring et all. However, someone cut all the wiring out. I just rewired them all using the relay logic circuit.

I will go through the receipts again, but I don't recall seeing what kind of hitch was installed. It seemed to be a Class 5, 2 inch receiver with 3 bolts on each side, attached to the frame. But who knows eh. The Ball Mount itself is rated for 6000 pounds.

canucksafari, that lumber hauler idea seems pretty good. I might actually look into that. The Merc that will be towed is a parts Merc...the good one is going to be driven back by a buddy. :D

I've towed 10 or so mercedes with my HJ60, my recomendation for what its worth is to use the tow dolly, pound out the rear CV joints on the mercedes and tie up the axle shafts, and tow it with the rear wheels on the ground. Use the engine braking in the HJ and you will be just fine. (Uhaul wont rent you the dolly if they know its for a mercedes so you tell them its for a tercel).
Elbert, thanks for the pix...I do believe that's the one the Uhaul tech was recommending me.

Kim, I've been searching this site diligently and have come across many of your posts about the load you've trailered. You certainly know what you're speaking of! I have already fitted the trailer logic circuit and it works great with my trailer lights tester...fed from my converter. I discovered that I have an additional brake light signal wire, I think that must be for the trailer brake signal, which I just left alone...oh well...:rolleyes: I was wondering why the receipt had "trailer brakes" on it...at some point in its life, my HJ60 had the whole kit and kaboodle wired up for a trailer with the wiring et all. However, someone cut all the wiring out. I just rewired them all using the relay logic circuit.

I will go through the receipts again, but I don't recall seeing what kind of hitch was installed. It seemed to be a Class 5, 2 inch receiver with 3 bolts on each side, attached to the frame. But who knows eh. The Ball Mount itself is rated for 6000 pounds.

canucksafari, that lumber hauler idea seems pretty good. I might actually look into that. The Merc that will be towed is a parts Merc...the good one is going to be driven back by a buddy. :D

I've towed 10 or so mercedes with my HJ60, my recomendation for what its worth is to use the tow dolly, pound out the rear CV joints on the mercedes and tie up the axle shafts, and tow it with the rear wheels on the ground. Use the engine braking in the HJ and you will be just fine. (Uhaul wont rent you the dolly if they know its for a mercedes so you tell them its for a tercel).

Have you ever driven the Coquihala highway?

Have you ever driven the Coquihala highway?

X2 Last year I followed a semi-down the Kamloops side. I figured he was empty given his speed going down. Nope, wrong gear. He laid on to his brakes so hard and long his front left tire burst at the bottom and had to ride the rim another 100 meters before he could get it stopped. He was lucky but it cost him a pretty penny. And that is just going down. I bet on a good day and empty an HJ60 might comfortably do 60 k up the snow shed hill in 3rd gear. Try that 5000-6000 lbs heavier and you are crawling in second (maybe first). Driving over Ontario bumps is not the same as driving over BC mountain passes.

If I were hauling a heavy load, I would be tempted to go the canyon. It is a lot slower and still has some long hills; but, they are nothing compared to the Coq.

also, this is left hand drive and parts availability?

Fuel economy is anything between 9,5L/100km to 18L/100km, generally it stays around 10,8-11,2L/100km... LHD and parts arent that hard to source atleast here in finland....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom