Anyone using IPF 900XS HID's? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

spressomon

glutton
SILVER Star
Threads
Just curious if anyone is running the IPF 900XS HID lights?

Just curious if anyone is running the IPF 900XS HID lights?

Scott Brady @ Expeditions West quote "1. HID Lights: The IPF's were incredible. Mount two driving HID's on the bumper and you are done! They are so bright and clear that when you shut them off you cannot see the factory lights at all (until your eyes adjust)".

I just ordered a set for myself.

I've been running them for the last couple years and they are as good as others say. I also like the amber lens cover. I find them easier on the eyes in tough weather conditions.

Thanks! Can either of you, by chance, compare the 900XS HID to the Lightforce 170s' for amount/distance of light thrown (that's what I am running now)? FYI: I am really happy with the LF 170's...however they are about 2" deeper casing than I have space for...

Sorry, no experience with the Lightforce 170's.....

I used the 170's in Africa and they work great as a pencil beam (or favoring pencil). Since they are an adjustable beam, that compromises pattern accuracy in my experience. As a driving there are too many hot/cool spots for my taste.

170's however are bullet proof though, very reliable and strong lights.

Here's a link from IPF's Japense site with a tiny diagram with their light pattern and range:

http://www.ipf.co.jp/catalog/900x.html

You guys are buying these but not even blink at my Hella's that I have been trying to get rid of for ages? Sheesh!:D

While we're on the subject, Cibie has a few HID aux. lights as seen here:
http://www.cibie.com/Page/CIBIE_HID/index.htm

PIAA:
http://www.piaa.co.jp/whatsnew/whatsnew_view?Info_ID=233

Koito:
http://www.sp.koito.co.jp/ctlg/p32.pdf (I just so happen to have a pair of these for sale, too:D))

IPF and Koito are two brands that are not well known abroad, but are pretty dang good brands.

I love automobile lighting!

Mot:)

I'd like to see them up agains Hella HID's. In my experiences Hella makes a much superior light.

I have used the Hella's (non-HID) extensively for the past ten years (500's, 3000's, 4000's, matadors, Optios). The numerous glass and body failures prompted the change to IPF's.

Here is a list of what I have had go wrong with the Hella's

1. 4000- glass crack, bezel ring screws come loose and fall out, beam adjustment (knurled) knobs fall out despite lock tight. Light performance was great though with the Euro beam
2. 500- Case cracks, loosing covers, water ingress. Never happy with light performance, but these are intro-quality lights
3. Optios- Paint on body faded and peeled. light output was good for a small driving beam.

Too early to say on the IPF's, as I have just switched over (last October), but so far the mounting has been solid (no light dancing) and no fogging or water ingress. Covers are tight (almost to a fault). Light output is brilliant with the HIDs

snowy_dawn_road.jpg

I am not knocking Hella, as they are a good company and make good products. I am just sharing my experience, which as the Hella guy I have been working with on design feedback says. "Scott, you are not a typical customer and the lights are being subjected to extreme conditions and vibration" I guess so...

I have used the Hella's (non-HID) extensively for the past ten years (500's, 3000's, 4000's, matadors, Optios). The numerous glass and body failures prompted the change to IPF's.

Here is a list of what I have had go wrong with the Hella's

1. 4000- glass crack, bezel ring screws come loose and fall out, beam adjustment (knurled) knobs fall out despite lock tight. Light performance was great though with the Euro beam
2. 500- Case cracks, loosing covers, water ingress. Never happy with light performance, but these are intro-quality lights
3. Optios- Paint on body faded and peeled. light output was good for a small driving beam.

Too early to say on the IPF's, as I have just switched over (last October), but so far the mounting has been solid (no light dancing) and no fogging or water ingress. Covers are tight (almost to a fault). Light output is brilliant with the HIDs

snowy_dawn_road.jpg

I am not knocking Hella, as they are a good company and make good products. I am just sharing my experience, which as the Hella guy I have been working with on design feedback says. "Scott, you are not a typical customer and the lights are being subjected to extreme conditions and vibration" I guess so...

...so in essence the Hella guy was saying his Hella lights are :princess: rated. Great...that's all we need is another light to get somebody back and forth to the mall :rolleyes:. Hella's advertising would (or based upon your "guy's" statement: SHOULD) indicate a different expectation from their target audience!

No, I wouldn't say that. Hella lights are very good, and I have not used the IPF's long enough to know for sure how they will last.

For example, race teams that run Hellas do modifications to address the issues I have mentioned.

It is just the challenge of building a product for the 98% or for the 2%. If you build for the 2% then it becomes cost prohibitive for the 98%.

500 miles of Baja corrugations can make nearly anything fall apart (I feel like I am going to come apart). Cool thing is that my Toyota has never failed :)

I have the PF 900XS HID Lights on my ARB Bumper. They are amazing....!! I love them and just ordered another set for my new cruiser.

I would not say that. My IPF's have a much better light spread, a better quality light, a whiter light with no holes or hot spots, and a better throw than my Hella lights.

I like the Hella lights ... but the IP's rock.

I'd like to see them up agains Hella HID's. In my experiences Hella makes a much superior light.

I ended up with a 15 unit array of the new VisionX Solstice LEDs. Problem solved ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom