Anyone go back to stock bumper from swing outs? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I really like the idea of the additional protection of a steel rear bumper, but dealing with swing outs on a daily basis is a deal breaker. I'm ok with some of the spare being visible. When the time comes I'm considering one of the kit bumpers and modifying to keep the spare underneath.
you don't have to buy the swing outs if you don't want or need them. I have a Slee on my 80 and a Dissent on the 100 and both bumpers you can just remove teh swingouts if they bother you that much. If these were my daily drivers I completely understand not wanting to deal with swing outs, they're definitely a PITA. Theyre fine on an offroad rig that gets used here and there. On a grocery getter though? No.

Op I feel you

33’s, stock bumpers, hidden winch mount if needed , trim bumpers for clearance if needed

call it a day

The amount of “overland” vehicles…. built to the hilt, bumpers, racks, tents, snorkels, blah etc… I see running around .. is a turn off. Most are pavement queens.
I prefer mostly stock.. wolf is sheep’s clothes in my older age. The 100 is disgustingly capable without any mods
The stock bumpers suck ass though. I was hitting them left and right even on easy trails. They have to go.

I owned an 80 series, with a Kaymar rear bumper, and swing outs, that was my DD. When my son was born, I learned to hate those swing outs. I didn’t exactly go back to stock (on that vehicle), but my son is now 25, and I’m still hesitant to put an aftermarket bumper with swing outs, on any of the LC/LX in my driveway.

you don't have to buy the swing outs if you don't want or need them. I have a Slee on my 80 and a Dissent on the 100 and both bumpers you can just remove teh swingouts if they bother you that much. If these were my daily drivers I completely understand not wanting to deal with swing outs, they're definitely a PITA. Theyre fine on an offroad rig that gets used here and there. On a grocery getter though? No.

I agree and have had that thought as well. The problem is that removing the swing out would leave me without a spare for daily driving.

How big of a PITA is removing and attaching the swing out?

I agree and have had that thought as well. The problem is that removing the swing out would leave me without a spare for daily driving.

How big of a PITA is removing and attaching the swing out?
I have dual spares on my LX470. The dissent bumper hd plenty of clearance underneath for a factory spare. I have 285/75/R16 K02s. No trimming or mods necessary to still keep your spare in the factory location under the vehicle. The 80 series also looks like I can easily keep the factory spare underneath but I opted without it to have more clearance under the vehicle so it’s on the swingout on that car. You can see in this pic I still have a spare on the bottom.

C771E97F-79E5-48DC-A322-598455C038C7.jpeg

Last edited:
I have dual spares on my LX470. The dissent bumper hd plenty of clearance underneath for a factory spare. I have 285/75/R16 K02s. No trimming or mods necessary to still keep your spare in the factory location under the vehicle. The 80 series also looks like I can easily keep the factory spare underneath but I opted without it to have more clearance under the vehicle so it’s on the swingout on that car. You can see in this pic I still have a spare on the bottom.

View attachment 3485971

33" tires fit just fine underneath, I am going to try my 34.3" in the stock location again. I get the visual appeal of the swing outs and out on the trail, I would much rather have the spare easily accessible on the swingout rather than under the truck. But for daily duties the swingouts are annoying as.

If you're using your swingouts with the only added benefit being a tire holder, you're not using your swingouts properly, IMO.

If you're not carrying additional fuel or water, traction boards, compressor, battery, jack, etc... then the swingouts are a "thing". If the swingouts free up interior cabin space because they're holding something that would end up on your roof or in the trunk, then it's easier to deal with the daily nuisance. All about the right tool for the job.

Old pic for reference:
1700457113028.png

Having dual swings and trekboxx is cool and all, but I can see day to day is completely annoying. It doesnt bother me because i got a company vehicle i get to take home. Anyway, I notice I started to load cargo on second row passenger seats now.

I'm still waiting to get 3rd row gullwing windows, so I can bypass the swingouts.

Having dual swings and trekboxx is cool and all, but I can see day to day is completely annoying. It doesnt bother me because i got a company vehicle i get to take home. Anyway, I notice I started to load cargo on second row passenger seats now.

I'm still waiting to get 3rd row gullwing windows, so I can bypass the swingouts.
That's the right solution. Like @suprarx7nut says, swingouts are great on road trips when you can carry stuff outside the truck.
I also ordered a pair of pull up windows from.
Like all good things in the world, you have to wait for them ;)
1700492433533.png

That's the right solution. Like @suprarx7nut says, swingouts are great on road trips when you can carry stuff outside the truck.
I also ordered a pair of pull up windows from.
Like all good things in the world, you have to wait for them ;)
View attachment 3486779
damn those windows look badass. Where did you order them from? Do you have to hack up the car to install these?

damn those windows look badass. Where did you order them from? Do you have to hack up the car to install these?

I have yet to receive them. This is the only set that is claimed to be 100% reversible. You do have to cut the interior plastic panels a little.

View attachment 3485971
that's how i run, street spare underneath, offroad spare added when going "overisting"....overland touristing.

Have you tried to fit your 35" spare underneath? I believe without the hitch, you can fit a 315/75R16. ARB already has a hitch.

I haven't had a spare tire down there in a long time but from my recollection, if the spare is hitting the pan hard, you can pull the spare away from it while cranking up the spare.... so the spare is a bit offset from it's natural position. What part is the spare hitting?

I tried to put my spare in the stock location again. It hits both the panhard bar and the ARB rear bumper. The ARB bar sticks further inwards than the last frame cross member. Looks like the spare is riding on the swing out.
20231122_130237.jpg
20231122_130704.jpg

Oh, mystery solved. Your aftermarket bumper is in the way. Otherwise, it would've fit.

Another solution I have thought about when running 35's is to run a 255/85R16 spare (skinny and 33.5") and then run Aisin selectable hubs. So, in the case one had to drive home a long distance... one could mount the 33.5" spare tire up front and unlocked the hubs.... drive home in RWD.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom