Anyone ever rent a Sat-phone? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Skillet

Skillet
Threads
Thinking about renting a Satellite phone for my Baja excursion.

Just for emergency purposes.

Anyone ever done this? If so, any suggestions on who to go to?

Details?

Jeb,
The expedition cure kids rented one.

IIRC, the monthly rental is about $100. The air time is about $1.20/minute.

http://www.outfittersatellite.com/

Where we went I am not sure who I would have called for any help.
Make sure you have a way to communicate with the locals on ranches or fish camps. Speak some spanish or at least a language book. If you need help you may be a very long way from the border.

cpg said:

Make sure you have a way to communicate with the locals on ranches or fish camps. Speak some spanish or at least a language book. If you need help you may be a very long way from the border.

This is who we use for field seasons in Tibet and have no problems with them. We ended up buying a couple of phones for use the rest of the year to save money. I think we were able to get a better deal on minutes, somewhere between 0.50-1.00/minute. We buy 500 hundred at a time, prepaid.

They are absolutely amazing when they work. They work on a line of sight to the sat (like a GPS reciever), so do poorly in towns or deep canyons. I wish ours had better antennas.

Ross

cpg said:

I have an 83 year old Grandmother who, for some reason, loves me with all of her heart. It would kill her if she knew I was in Baja and she did not hear from me for 18 days. A sat phone would solve this.
Mostly, I will carry it to call her and let our families know we are alive.
Other than that, I have many friends close to the border who can come in an emergency.
Not to mention, my girlfriend is Mexican, born in Mexicali and her first language is Spanish. Needless to say, my small amount of Spanish will probably not be used too much.
I have been to Baja many times and, though you can never know what to expect, I sorta know what to expect. :D

Thanks for the information.

I have a sat phone, and I love having it with me. Nice security blanket.

M

Hey Skillet,
Do you listen to KPIG?

Ross

Skillet said:
Indeed.

I've got a hog-call for ya, if you are interested.;)

That sation is a local gem.

Do you get it online down there?

I use to listen all the time when I lived in Santa Cruz. When I moved I was heart broken, then they came online. I kept on listening until you had to pay to listen. I haven't checked back for years.

Ross

GeoRoss said:
I use to listen all the time when I lived in Santa Cruz. When I moved I was heart broken, then they came online. I kept on listening until you had to pay to listen. I haven't checked back for years.

Ross

Still a great station.

They opened another branch in San Louis Obispo. Same format.

I cannot believe they charge to listen online! That blows.

Biff said:
Hey I was born in Mexicali, what a small world. :D

Hey! Maybe you guys know eachother...:D

She came to the states when she was 8, 30 years ago, so maybe not.

Recognize her?
Chiligirl pinup.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom