Anyone do a "Snorkel" Exhaust ?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.springtailsolutions.com
I saw a picture of a south american Bandi with a raised exhaust...anyone here in the states do this? If so, let see some pictures...

IMG_1757.jpg

Doc

Exhaust snorkels can be useful. Unless you're spending a LOT of time in deep water, they're not needed. I've crossed streams in flood season which were over the top of the front fenders without problems.
That said, had I stalled I could have had problems restarting in 40"+ of water with 1/2" of water in the bottom of the distributor cap. (Thank you MSD for keeping it running, then and till I realized I had 1/2" of water in the distributor.)
Unless it's just for show air intakes, distributors, vents, breathers, and ... Are far more important than an exhaust snorkel.

Agreed...it is probably a bit overkill. I do like the look though. I have to completely redo the exhaust on my new project and I figure that while I am at it....it would be pretty cool.

I need to figure out how to snorkel my V8 as well.

Doc

Single high flow exhaust.
:D

Although it wouldn't sound quite the same afterwards. Done right torque can be better, and who cares about max Hp at wot in a 40... At least if they've got a V8.:hillbilly:

It is a more permanent solution to what the Army used to call a water fording package. I have crossed some pretty deep streams and no problems. However guys right behind me who failed to keep the bow wave out front, drove too slow, let water get into the exhaust and drowned their rigs. You MIGHT need a temporary version of that if you live near and ford deep water a couple times a year. As someone said unless you do deep water fording on a daily basis there is no reason to make that permanent. All that said this guy did a very nice job on the install.:cheers:

I like the one in the photo, but a couple more inches between ladder & exhaust would help climbing.
would that exhaust help on the trail while rock crawling & people walking the trail & spotting for you? It looks very cool for sure.

It is a more permanent solution to what the Army used to call a water fording package. I have crossed some pretty deep streams and no problems. However guys right behind me who failed to keep the bow wave out front, drove too slow, let water get into the exhaust and drowned their rigs. You MIGHT need a temporary version of that if you live near and ford deep water a couple times a year. As someone said unless you do deep water fording on a daily basis there is no reason to make that permanent. All that said this guy did a very nice job on the install.:cheers:

The deep water fording package is kind of an inspiration for me. With all of the flooding in Iowa this spring, there are times that I could have actually used it (although crossing a swollen stream is pretty stupid). None-the-less, I want to see if anyone else has actually done it on a US spec FJ40.

p07.jpg

Here is another picture of the Bandi

IMG_2172.jpg

I have access to multitude of fabrication services...it does not appear to be a difficult prospect. I am just hoping for some inspiration from others who have crossed this proverbial "stream" before. :)

Doc

Single high flow exhaust.
:D

Although it wouldn't sound quite the same afterwards. Done right torque can be better, and who cares about max Hp at wot in a 40... At least if they've got a V8.:hillbilly:

Exactly, Right now it has a 305 Chevy in it...whether it stays or not is up to what my mechanic says next week. I like the bit of extra power...not a whole lot of increase but it sure is smooth.

Doc

One of the hazards of water crossings is once you're in... You often must continue out to the other side.
I wouldn't recommend deep water crossings. There are times when they are unavoidable... Especially with snow melts over the coarse of the day.

When I worked for BC Forrest service, I saw a picture of a truck they "lost". Buddy drove out the road in the am... Crossed a 6" deep trickle on the way out... By the end of the day it was close to 6' deep. He wasn't paying enough attention and drove into it. All you could see in the picture was a corner of the truck cab and the ATV bars(cargo in box) sticking out of the water. Oops. The truck never ran right again (darn computer controlled stuff).

Exactly, Right now it has a 305 Chevy in it...whether it stays or not is up to what my mechanic says next week. I like the bit of extra power...not a whole lot of increase but it sure is smooth.

Doc

Low end torque and mid-range power is what you need in a 40.

on a gaser you have ALOT more important things to keep dry .... on diesel it would be kinda cool in a Outback expo truck kinda way

I used to cross 4-5 ft streams in my 22RE Runner I spend 2 days sealin all the plugs under the hood with die-electric grease I even siloconed the cap and rotor sold with breather to the snorkle .... worked great till the water got half way up the windshield and it couldnt push the wayer anymore ....... never needed a exhust snorlkel till the end:lol::hillbilly:

Last edited:
FJ40 from Alaska Trek 2010...check expeditions for more inf on the owner

FJ60 in Puerto Rico..photo out on facebook

If i move back to Puerto Rico i will do the snorkel just to use in raining or in hurricane seasons
37306_108529239199172_100001262897486_64095_3312340_n.jpg
23497_1383420387231_1283610166_1118223_8314052_n.jpg

Snorkle dorkle.

Wait thats not a snorkle exhaust, around here we just call that a

Stack.

Are you a trucker? Got a jake brake for it to?:doh:

that fj60 belong to a friend in pr,i guess the rack and all that is home made,but im sure the for the high lift mount there a few places on line that they have it

sweet another project for my 40
i say do it ... why not i think that in the end you might need it some day just make sure to put some protection around it..

So the Bandi has a snorkel and is on a raft. Maybe the raft is the better answer. If I were to build something like that I would install a permanent stack but have a flex pipe that I could add between the stack and the tail pipe as the weather dictates. That way the engine would breath better most of the time.

I could never understand putting on a tall snorkel while leaving the exhaust at its stock height. When the day comes for me to install a snorkel, an extended exhaust stake will go with it.

But there are other factors to consider as well.

It's not enough to have snorkels and extended exhaust. Not for the depth of water plus perhaps the distance involved during fording.

I have a 1951 Dodge M37. This truck was the HUMVEE of its day. It came set up for fording, and with an add on snorkel and exhaust stack, it could be totally submerged, with only the top of the snorkel and stack showing, for hours. The military used to delight in making demonstration films showing this for various vehicles. It's especially impressive for M35 and M54 6x6 trucks.

The electrical system was totally waterproof. Including special spark plugs with screw on boots. The distributor was encased in a waterproof shell.

The engine had a fording control. When a cable on the dash was pulled, the PCV plumbing was shunted so that it was turned off. This caused the blowby gasses to pressure the engine.

There was a drain plug added to the bellhousing to seal it. The plug was added before fording.

The axles, bellhousing, transmission, transfer case and fuel tank were all vented to the air intake.

The radiator fan was constructed so heavy duty that the blades would not pull forward in water and chew up the back of the radiator.

All instruments were waterproof. All wiring harnesses are waterproof.

And not just fresh water, but proof against salt water.

So the usefulness of fording stacks that reach to the top of the truck are questionable if the rest of the system is incapable of fording that deep.

Having said that, a V-8 often lowers the level of water needed to enter the valves verses an I-6. An extended exhaust stack might be a consideration if it is possible for water to reverse flow to the heads.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom