Anyone? - CLC Classifieds thread (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Help me out. Someone over here had my truck a year or two ago for sale. The navy blue 80 with tan interior. Where did it go? Even if it changed hands. Who has it now?

I am open to the idea of trades for the transmission/tcase and for either set of the tires.

What I could use is a Warn 8274, and another 10-12,000 lb winch that will fit an 80 with an ARB bumper. Roof top tent, rear tire carrier bumper for an 80 and a 40, etc.

Help me out. Someone over here had my truck a year or two ago for sale. The navy blue 80 with tan interior. Where did it go? Even if it changed hands. Who has it now?

It was Dave Dear, and he has since sold the truck. I believe he told me it went to Florida maybe?

A transmission/transfer case and adapter setup out of my fj40.

SM420 transmission (1st gear is a granny gear 7:1)
An Advanced Adapters adapter to mate the SM420 to the toyota transfer case
3 speed transfer case with twin sticks and a nose cone saver.
GM Bellhousing
Custom skid plate/mount fabricated by JK Customs
Clutch can go with it too and it's close to new.

Price $500

It's still in the truck but can be pulled asap if your interested. Works fine, just upgrading to an Orion/4 speed setup.

Why not put the Orion behind the 420? Just curious...

The 420 shifts like a tranny out of a 1968 2 ton bread truck.

It's actually OK if you use it like a 3 speed but on the road the non sync 7:1 first gear is useless.

I'm answering this as if it was mine because I'm waiting on everyone to get ready for church.

Lastly, I know you might not think it, but there is such thing as too much gearing if you don't have a ton of options like Jrob does.

I get all that...just seems like first gear low with the 420/Orion combo would be a great crawl ratio.

I am an SM420 fan. First gear was never meant to be used in normal driving. It's a "granny low" used only to get heavy loads rolling. Only bad thing about the 420 is that there are, at a minimum, 45 years old at this point and even the best rebuild kits lack a few parts. If you find a good one, and I am sure Jeff's is, grab it.

I am actually going with a non US Toyota 4 speed, the H41, mated to the Orion. They have a lower first gear that the US models. So with the new combo I will be lowering the crawl ratio that I have now (currently around 70:1 if i remember correctly)

I am not gaining that much more in crawl ratio but the net will be an increase. Probably would have not been my next upgrade except I won the free labor at the Crawl Raffle last year so I had Georg build me one.

The current setup is great on the trail.

OK, here is my thing on super low gears (without a crawler box)

If you are in need of a little momentum, you are going to have to either be stupid low or not. There is no shifting gears on a SM420 from first to second in a hurry if you need it.

I like the even spacing between the gears in a Cruiser tranny.

All that being said, I think the SM420 mated to a stock case is perfect, just don't go to Orion plus.

H41 plus Orion is SWEET!

I love the SM420 / AA Rock Box / stock t-case combo I stumbled on here in the classifieds a while back. But on the street I drive it like a 3 speed. It is a long throw between gears......but this combo does get STUPID low on the trails. :D

I love the SM420 / AA Rock Box / stock t-case combo I stumbled on here in the classifieds a while back. But on the street I drive it like a 3 speed. It is a long throw between gears......but this combo does get STUPID low on the trails. :D

A transmission/transfer case and adapter setup out of my fj40.

SM420 transmission (1st gear is a granny gear 7:1)
An Advanced Adapters adapter to mate the SM420 to the toyota transfer case
3 speed transfer case with twin sticks and a nose cone saver.
GM Bellhousing
Custom skid plate/mount fabricated by JK Customs
Clutch can go with it too and it's close to new.

Price $500

It's still in the truck but can be pulled asap if your interested. Works fine, just upgrading to an Orion/4 speed setup.
Jeff, holler at this dude - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/looking-for-a-good-sm-420-trans.813926/

Fur sale!
5 km2 35/12.50/17
No holes or big chunks out of them. less than 5000 miles, lots of tread left. 1200.00$$$ in hernando ms

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

It was Dave Dear, and he has since sold the truck. I believe he told me it went to Florida maybe?
This is turrible news. I want that truck. a navy blue one with tan interior.
Ya'll keep an eye out for an 80 or hunnerd in the navy blue persuasion!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom