Anybody using canvas covers on their trailer bows ? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

What end connections are you using on your bungie ?

They're flat plastic odd S-shapped hooks, Think I got them at Grainger, I like them because if the end goes flying it's less likely to hurt anyone. They're a little clumsy, so need to fit what you're hooking to.

They're flat plastic odd S-shapped hooks, Think I got them at Grainger, I like them because if the end goes flying it's less likely to hurt anyone. They're a little clumsy, so need to fit what you're hooking to.

So you just weave them through the grommets on the tarp ? Or did you secure them afterward ?

So you just weave them through the grommets on the tarp ? Or did you secure them afterward ?
Yeah, the bungee goes through the grommets all the way around the tarp, alternating in and out. The loose ends come out the back in the center. The plastic S-hooks are secured by knotting the bungee after slipping it through the holes in them.

This all works great with the tiedowns in the M101 CDN. You just slip them under the hooks along the bottom of the outside of the tub lip. The exception is at the back. I needed a license plate holder, so I made it so I could set the S-hooks into it as they were clumsy to hook to the factory tiedown at the back center. The bungee does go through that that tiedown, then down to hook on the top of the license frame.

Found a couple of pics with the vinyl tarp and without the hooks attached to the bungee. HTH

This reminds me I used a grommet kit from HF to install some where more were needed, like close together at the back.

LicenseLightLooseBungie9.jpg
LightsOnDSCorner6.jpg

Last edited:
Imagine canvas. Also note that additional grommets were installed at various points to suit the needs of this trailer. YMMV

LightsOn2.jpg

Last edited:
@greentruck you didn't happen to get that tarp off of Amazon did you ? I was looking around on there earlier and noted one similar but it said it was polyethylene. I didn't know if that would hold up for over the road use. I have a 10oz canvas, 18oz after treatment tarp that does fit over everything, but I'm worried now that it will not hold up for the trip. Since I've yet to use it, I can still take it back.

No, it came from Menards, IIRC. The canvas one I have may have been from Rural King, not sure. They're all thoroughly generic, except for the custom installed grommets I did.

No, it came from Menards, IIRC. The canvas one I have may have been from Rural King, not sure. They're all thoroughly generic, except for the custom installed grommets I did.

I might have to stop by Menards in the morning and see if they have something. Is it vinyl or poly ? I need to make sure I have something that will hold up to highway speeds for a few thousand miles, do you think this would work ?

If you have time to order one, check out this place.....MyTarp.com

EDIT...never mind JohnnyC already linked it, shipping is high, but they have good products.

I might have to stop by Menards in the morning and see if they have something. Is it vinyl or poly ? I need to make sure I have something that will hold up to highway speeds for a few thousand miles, do you think this would work ?

Keep in mind this was a project from almost a decade back, but tarps don't change much. Try another place with a good selection of tarps. Most rural big boxes (around here, Fram & Fleet, Rural King, Tractor Supply Company, etc) have a good selection. The one's I used on our trailer were about 5'9"x 8'. If you get a nice heavy one and do something to pad the corners (and any other spots that might tend to poke through, it'll hold up well enough. We didn't pad the camo one and took it to the UP (500 miles one way) and only managed to end up with rub through at the two front corners. But they were unprotected which is where I came to the conclusions I related here.

I bought a length of 3/8" bungee from a hardware store, I think maybe 25 ft. I laced it through the grommets all the way around and tied figure 8 loops in the ends. Then I use a basic aluminum caribiner to attach it to one of the lifting hoops. I got the 5x7 vinyl tarp from mytarp.com and added a couple extra grommets at the corners so that they would fold neatly. As my bungee rope has elongated over the last 4-5 years, I've looped the tail through the other lift hoop and doubled back to the carabiner. I guess I could just cut it and re-tie the fig 8 to shorten, but I've just been lazy about it.

2016-03_Roundup (5).jpg

Found some of the pics from when I did the tarp and first camping trip with the trailer, so here's another illustrative pic with tarping the M101 CDN.

FR21ka.jpg

What end connections are you using on your bungie ?

Found pics of the hooks I used for this bungee/tarp combo.

IBuHpq.jpg

84y94H.jpg

The last pic shows it almost tight. The loop sitting in top the hook gets pulled down in the slot next to the plastic loop on the left side to secure the bugee end. In this case, I was using rope with the hooks for another purpose, but this is how it works.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom