Any YT folks do HVAC? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've done some research and reading about workshop / garage heater options, and believe that I need a unit that draws air from the outside, and has a separate combustion chamber. My work space is in an old barn that the PO insulated as best he could at the time.

It's a 30' x 23' x 9' space. It is nowhere near ai- tight. If I can install a heater like a Modine HotDawg or similar, I'd be using the heat for specific projects and time in the shop. Not planning on keep the shop at a set temp thru the winter.

I've requested some installation quotes from my current propane / oil provider and a couple other HVAC contractors in my area.

Wondering if there are any YT folks that I could bounce some estimates off of when they come in, or who might be local to me and up for giving me an estimate?

Thanks!

my garage is 26x34x10 and I bought a used 60,000 btu unit off of ebay. Had to convert it to propane which was no big deal. My plumber friend pulled the permits and piped it in. I hung it on the ceiling and exhausted it out the back.

there are requirements for exhaust location having to do with doors and windows. It has been working great for 5 or more years.

my garage is 26x34x10 and I bought a used 60,000 btu unit off of ebay. Had to convert it to propane which was no big deal. My plumber friend pulled the permits and piped it in. I hung it on the ceiling and exhausted it out the back.

there are requirements for exhaust location having to do with doors and windows. It has been working great for 5 or more years.
Sounds like exactly what I'm looking for. Would be great to have my shop useable in the winter!

Rick, does yours have a separate combustion vent, or is it pulling air from inside the garage into the heater?

3 weeks later, got a quote back from my fuel supplier.

My shop is 34 x 23 x 9', two garage doors, and a the equivalent of 9 windows. Garage doors are insulated, windows are single pane.

When I met with the estimator, I said I'd like to have the shop at ~45° when it was 10° outside.

He came back with the following quote (attached).

A Modine 75k BTU unit, at retail, is ~$735 - $830 (amazon prime).

I fully understand the value of having pros install devices like this, I'm just having a hard time wrapping my head around the ~$2600 labor charge. I know the propane co will drop a tank, and fill it, but that's still a ton of cheddar for a shop heater install.

Am I nuts? Would love any feedback from you all.
garage heater quote copy.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom