Any preference: Denso vs. NGK plugs (iridium) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

donco said:
Denso's are about $11 ea. vs. $8 for NGK's. Any preference?

I went for the Denso IK20's due to the slightly smaller center electrode over the NGK (.4mm vs. .6mm) and the U-groove design. I paid $78 for eight with free UPS shipping. There's lots of info and hype on both company web sites.

Denso Is considered a "Toyota" replacement...NGK is suitable replacement..

In the past, I have found that both perform so closely, It is virtually impossible to tell what brand was used when driving..

With that said...I still prefer Denso (maybe because I get a REAL good deal on `em ? )

I am however, still running the original plugs in my 100 with over 100,000 miles on it..I guess its time for a tune-up (with Densos)....

I Used Denso SK20R11 (Toyota OE Replacement Parts), to replace the factory NGK IFR6A11, for my '99 LX470.

Both are 0.7mm Iridium tip Center Electrode with platinum disc on Side Electrode. They appear virtually identical & perform the same. NGK $7 (as IFR6T11), Denso $11 at Toyota Dealer.

The 0.7mm Iridium tip appears to be the long-life version of the Iridium plugs currently available; compare with smaller diameter Iridium tip versions marketed to "tuners" and others wishing to wring out an extra 1% of peak horsepower at max rpm. (WOW!) But those smaller diameter Iridium tips don't last very long; I believe Denso says to replace their 0.4mm Iridium plugs at 30k miles.

'99 LX Owners Manual says my plug replacement interval is 90k miles; Dealer Parts Guy claimed that the Toyota Replacment Plugs (Denso) are good for 120k. In any case, the factory NGK plugs looked just fine at 90k when I replaced them, and the engine was still running quite smoothly on them - they probably could have run another 50k with no problem. So I believe the 120k miles claim.

$11 each is pricey, but considering they perform perfectly for around 100k miles or more, its actually a bargain IMO. (I remember when plugs had to be replaced every 10-15k miles...along with points & distributor cap...:)

Pigeon said:
Which type come from the factory?
I prefer to stick with those.

You will find BOTH plugs factory installed....In fact, Ive even seen the LH head have Densos, and the RH have NGKs....

GO FIGURE !! :confused:

SINCITY100 said:
You will find BOTH plugs factory installed....In fact, Ive even seen the LH head have Densos, and the RH have NGKs....

GO FIGURE !! :confused:

They probably have a different person put plugs in each side of the engine as it rolls down the assembly line, Im sure they use whatever is in their little "parts bin" at the time

Toyoland66 said:
They probably have a different person put plugs in each side of the engine as it rolls down the assembly line, Im sure they use whatever is in their little "parts bin" at the time

Who know what the truth is, but this was the same for my 99 Toyota 4Runner which we bought new.

jp213a said:
I went for the Denso IK20's due to the slightly smaller center electrode over the NGK (.4mm vs. .6mm) and the U-groove design. I paid $78 for eight with free UPS shipping. There's lots of info and hype on both company web sites.

That is a good price for the IK20's, do you remember where you bought them?

BTW, Toyota owns a 24% share of Denso... Just thought I'd share that little fact:D

Tinkerer said:
The 0.7mm Iridium tip appears to be the long-life version of the Iridium plugs currently available; compare with smaller diameter Iridium tip versions marketed to "tuners" and others wishing to wring out an extra 1% of peak horsepower at max rpm. (WOW!) But those smaller diameter Iridium tips don't last very long; I believe Denso says to replace their 0.4mm Iridium plugs at 30k miles.

Until reading your post, I was under the impression all iridium spark plugs had a 120,000 mile life expectancy. To select the correct Denso plug number, I went to the Denso web site and punched in 2000 Toyota LC. It came back with IK20 and no alternatives were noted. Tonight, I punched in SK20R11 into the cross reference box and it shows the LC and LX with UZ2FE engine using this plug and identifies it as an Extra Long Life iridium plug. Here's what I found tonight on the Denso web site under FAQ:

Q. How long will Iridium Last?
A. Iridium use represents the most significant technological advance in automotive spark plug manufacturing, since platinum was introduced in the early eighties. As vehicle manufacturers produce increasingly complex and efficient automobiles, there is a greater need for long-life plugs that can tolerate leaner fuel mixtures and improved combustion processes. DENSO has responded to this need by developing its Iridium alloy, originally for OE applications. For example, many newer Lexus’ and Toyota models carry an ultra long-life Iridium plug variation (.7mm with platinum tipped ground) that is capable of up to 120,000 miles of service. DENSO Iridium Power plugs, with their .4mm center electrode, have been developed for performance applications. Because gradual wear will “round-off” firing points over time, the concentrated firing power and voltage requirement benefits will be reduced. For this reason, DENSO advises replacement after 30,000 miles.

When I pulled out the original SK20R11's at 110,000 miles and installed the IK20's, I didn't detect a performance improvement.

calamaridog said:
That is a good price for the IK20's, do you remember where you bought them?

Try calling 251.479.9451 from 9 AM - 6 PM CST. $78 with free UPS was in 12/03.

Well now I feel like I wasted my money. I wanted long life plugs.

Oh well, after 30k I'll have to buy some long life ones.

I used NGK's web site here to cross reference over to the "V Power" plug and got a killer deal from my former co-worker. I paid $1.23 each for a whopping $9.84 for the set. I figure I can replace them every 30K for that. Considering I pulled Autolite's (former owners history coming out) out of the engine, there WAS a noticable improvement in performance and gained about 1-2 MPG.

I finally broke down and got the Densos. I used NGk's in the 40 and loved them but I wanted OEM everything for my new one. They are great plugs and are made real well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom