Any input appreciated: fuel can swingout (nato mfc) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

MrMikeyG

SILVER Star
Threads
I'm curious what people think about having fuel can swingouts? I'm going to speculate that 2 full scepter 5 gallon mfc's will weigh 70 pounds. I know there are a lot of folks on here that run a MT tire/wheel combo that hits close to that weight.
All things considered, having a couple of jerry cans is still the cheapest way to get extended range out of a 1FZ 80 series. I think my cross member/tow hitch mods have made it impossible for me to run any sort of long range or secondary under body tank. Running any rotopax gear would require me buying into another "system," and I don't want to do that.

The 4xlabs offering bolts onto the 4xlabs swingout. The Deltavs offering bolts onto their assembly as well. I've seen a few offerings in the Jeep realm.
I'm running a @SUMMIT CRUISERS Jr rear tire swingout already, and will be blatantly pilfering some of his base ideas for a "mate" (I will end up with a dual swingout oem bumper).
I've seen some "basket" designs using round tube, and some "box" designs using flat stock. I've also noted that there are a few folks who have based their designs on 3 cans so that they can also carry a small Yeti type cooler when extra fuel isn't needed.
Does anyone care to weigh in on what would be a better design regarding strength to weight? I would like it to remain simple as I don't have any gear that will let me do commercial grade fixturing. I don't mean to add complexity by having "built-in" security either. If I need to lock the fuel, a cable lock will pull that duty.

Any ideas and suggestions are welcome.
-Mike.

I have a 4+ dual rear swing-out on my 40 that carries a spare, three Scepter jerry cans (or a Coleman cooler), a Hi-lift jack, and two radio antennas. There's no doubt it's heavy when fully-loaded for a week in the back country. The first time I used it that way, it really compressed my back lift springs (probably didn't account for enough weight in the design of the lift). The 4+ bumper is heavy duty, and heavy in its own right. I added some helper leaves to my rear springs, and never load up the jerry cans and Hi-lift unless I really need them.

Having said that, I still think the rear bumper is the easiest and best way to carry spare fuel and water, when you need to.

IMG_3800.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks. Nice 40! I've seen quite a few examples now of jerry cans up on the roof lately too. Decisions, decisions.

I've seen quite a few examples now of jerry cans up on the roof lately too. Decisions, decisions.

I've carried Scepter jerry cans on the Gobi roof rack on my FJC; makes siphoning into the fuel tank way easy, but makes it more top-heavy. Not much of a problem on an FJC but I wouldn't want that weight up high on my 40. Depends on the vehicle I guess. When I had an 80-series, I didn't think it was particularly tippy or had a high COG, but I never put anything heavy on top of it either.

I think I finally have a "source" for some nato cans that doesn't require a trip to Canada. I also already sourced a spindle kit from NWFab. I needed an excuse to set up my ridiculous back yard welding station anyway.
No roof rack for me yet.

On the Blanc-Oh! I carry two cans in the plate/sheet type of carrier that Protofab makes for those trucks. I cut out a corner of the carrier for the spigot on a Front Runner water jug. Both are held in with a Mac's ratchet strap.

And that is the flaw, the plastic Front Runner jug is slowly buckling under the strap. Can see it starting in the pic below, it's worse since my last outing into Saline Valley with this truck. Currently trying to work out a solution that holds the cans in place w/o buckling the water jug and isn't in the way of loading & unloading the carrier.

i-dTLLPqM-M.jpg

I have a carrier from 4x4labs right before they switched to the bolt on ones. My truck won't fit into my garage with the swing outs installed, so I have them off most of the time. But I have used them without any problem. Positioning them up higher than the bumper and on the right side is good I think. I can use a super siphon and drain the can directly into the fuel tank without taking the full can out of the carrier. I moved recently and a "helper" helped himself to my two carb-compliant nato style gasoline cans...bummer.

1821772642_d060c33482_c.jpg

FWIW When you can buy one of these: Army Spout Utility Jerry Can Swiss Army (SAV4220) | Army Surplus, NATO Swiss Jerry Cans | Swiss Army Vehicles Parts Shop - https://swissarmyvehicles.com/surplus/51/SAV4220/army-spout-utility-jerry-can-swiss-army you will balk at the price and wonder if it was worth the money right up until you use it for the first time. Then you'll wonder how you got along without one. It will dump a full fuel can faster than it takes to describe the process. It is fast enough that you're only lifting a full can to the starting point, you're never holding a full can. A siphon might be easier, but those that I've used were slooooowwwww......

Note that with an unleaded restrictor in the fill neck that you'll need to make a small reducer for it. Mine is made of 3/4" copper pipe slightly sanded down.

@2mbb Thanks for that picture. That clearly illustrates the "problem" circling around in my head about fabbing one up. That looks like a lot of potential strain on welds that join the vertical tube to the horizontal. That seems to be how most cage style (not built form flat stock) carriers are constructed though so it's probably fine.

@2mbb Thanks for that picture. That clearly illustrates the "problem" circling around in my head about fabbing one up. That looks like a lot of potential strain on welds that join the vertical tube to the horizontal. That seems to be how most cage style (not built form flat stock) carriers are constructed though so it's probably fine.
some of that is mitgated by using gussets. It's hard to tell but these gussets go across the swing arm at 45deg and angle on the upright from the inside edge at the top to the outside edge at the bottom. This "triangulation" probably stiffens the upright quite a bit.

1653319233913.png

If it works, it works. I don't have the chops to re-invent the wheel here, but I can certainly add some gussets to what I've been seeing in my head.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom