Any hope for this mistreated 1HZ? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I have a hankering for a troopie, much as I love my FJ70 I want long wheel base ride. So I have located a surplus 96 Troopie with a 1HZ non-turbo engine. Odometer has stopped at 167K kilometers, has more than that obviously. Could have as much as 250K kilometers on it, I doubt more than that. Anyway, it was used as an ambulance in a third world country, owned operated and maintained by complete incompetents who did their best to ruin it. My question involves the motor... seems for quite a while they were having trouble starting it so took to the habit of putting a bit of gas in the air cleaner and it would start up. Now, it will start (apparently) using the same method, but it runs very rough, I'm not sure if it's blowing smoke... probably. Anyway, I realize there is really no telling what the condition of this motor is, but anyone have any advice on the likelihood of this motor being put into serviceable condition without a major overhaul? The service here is horrible to put it mildly, if they changed the oil on this thing the motor it'self should be ok at this point right? Would be great If I could just get the injection serviced and get it running....:hmm: anyway, the rig is CHEAP! Worst case scenario is I could swap my 3f into it, or I even have a 3f for parts I could rebuild and buy a good carb for... old school power plant. I know you guy's dont have a crystal ball but any input appreciated.

Compression test then

injectors cleaned and or replaced - I assume replaced by the sounds of it

injection pump rebuilt

All DIesel filters replaced

Fuel tank drained and fuel lines cleaned then see if it starts clean

oil filter replaced and new oil - then I would start on the rest of the oils.

Then it might start to run smooth

1HZ is not a cheaop engine to rebuild.

The 1HZ is possibly the toughest engine Toyota ever built,its certainly ranks along side the best of the B engines.
However lack of maintenance and hard driving will kill it.

They should start and run smooth in 2 seconds from a cold start at 20c and above.
It could have bad injectors,inoperative glow system,bad fuel pump or just plain low compression.

But if it runs rough after the petrol vapour start,I would say the compression is shot.
I would take it as fact before any cash is handed over.

If you cant compression test it,try running a jumper cable direct from the battery to a glow plug for 10 seconds and then try starting it.(electricity will reach all the glow plugs if the bus bar is intact)
If it runs smooth you may have something half decent to play with.
An 1HZ engine with pump and injector rebuild cost me about $7500 once upon a time and that was in oz where these grow on trees.

You might do better putting all your queries on this vehicle in one post on the diesel forum;)

They told me the compression was bad but I don't believe anything I'm told, here especially. I'd rather swap in the 3F I have lying around anyway, I'm not that fond of diesels especially non-turbos. Just waiting to hear about fitment issues. Btw, "cheap" is 1000 US.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom