Any Colorado JDM owners? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just wondering what the registration process was like for you. Did you have to go to the csp and get a 17 digit vin, or just use the foreign vin? Seems like on other makes its about 50/50 using the jdm vin. My car already has an out of state title.

I'm not sure where to even start. Should I go get a vin verification and try to get emissions tested and see what they say? Should I go to cdphe and see what they say first? I have no idea.

Since this is a more regional question you might ask over in Rising Sun if you don't get an answer here.

I have a HDJ81 and BJ71. I live in Centennial. There's a few more steps than just going to get emissions. Shoot me a text or call and I can give you some guidance.

720- nine nine nice-7739

Cheers,
Angelo

Just wondering what the registration process was like for you. Did you have to go to the csp and get a 17 digit vin, or just use the foreign vin? Seems like on other makes its about 50/50 using the jdm vin. My car already has an out of state title.

I'm not sure where to even start. Should I go get a vin verification and try to get emissions tested and see what they say? Should I go to cdphe and see what they say first? I have no idea.
So you don't need a 17 digit vin. I just used my Japanese vin. And it's the vin that's on the title and on my insurance. If it's a JDM cruiser, your vin should be on the fire wall data plate and it'll be stamped on the right side frame by the front wheel. You should be able to see it if you look at the frame from the wheel well.

You'll need to get a vin verification. I went to Grove Toyota off of Broadway, just north of Littleton Blvd. They didn't charge me anything. Then you'll need to go to the dmv with you paper work and get a colorado title. They may or may not ask for import paperwork. They asked when I did the 81 but didn't seem to really care at all when I did the 71. They'll asked where your emissions test is, but you can't get one until you get a temporary registration. They'll give you temp tags.

After this, you'll need to call 303-744-2522 and set up an appointment. They'll inspect your vehicle and give you a form DR 2365. This form is very important and you'll need it every time you go do emissions. Now that you have got this form, you can schedule an appointment to get you emissions. If you have a diesel, you'll only have to pass colorado diesel opacity, which is like 33 or 35% I forget. Take the form with you because they will ask you for it. It tells them emissions folks what they're testing for.

Once you get all of that done and you get your emissions, you have to go back to the dmv and give them the emissions paper work and they'll give you plates or mail them to you. As long as you passed.

It's pretty simple, just a few extra steps. The guys that will inspect your truck are chill. They aren't trying to screw one over. They are just making sure all the OEM emissions crap is in on and that your injector pump looks factory.
passed

I know a few people that had to go to CSP to get a vin verification and or a new vin. I never had to do that and I know more people that didn't have to do that, then had to. I would probably avoid that at all cost. They are normally weeks out, if not months. The dmv accept my vin verification from Toyota. So I'm sure you can take it to any dealership and they'll do one for you.

I'm probably forgetting a step or 4, or maybe something has changed within the past year. Call or text me with your questions and I'll do my best to help.

Cheers,
Angelo

So you don't need a 17 digit vin. I just used my Japanese vin. And it's the vin that's on the title and on my insurance. If it's a JDM cruiser, your vin should be on the fire wall data plate and it'll be stamped on the right side frame by the front wheel. You should be able to see it if you look at the frame from the wheel well.

You'll need to get a vin verification. I went to Grove Toyota off of Broadway, just north of Littleton Blvd. They didn't charge me anything. Then you'll need to go to the dmv with you paper work and get a colorado title. They may or may not ask for import paperwork. They asked when I did the 81 but didn't seem to really care at all when I did the 71. They'll asked where your emissions test is, but you can't get one until you get a temporary registration. They'll give you temp tags.

After this, you'll need to call 303-744-2522 and set up an appointment. They'll inspect your vehicle and give you a form DR 2365. This form is very important and you'll need it every time you go do emissions. Now that you have got this form, you can schedule an appointment to get you emissions. If you have a diesel, you'll only have to pass colorado diesel opacity, which is like 33 or 35% I forget. Take the form with you because they will ask you for it. It tells them emissions folks what they're testing for.

Once you get all of that done and you get your emissions, you have to go back to the dmv and give them the emissions paper work and they'll give you plates or mail them to you. As long as you passed.

It's pretty simple, just a few extra steps. The guys that will inspect your truck are chill. They aren't trying to screw one over. They are just making sure all the OEM emissions crap is in on and that your injector pump looks factory.
passed

I know a few people that had to go to CSP to get a vin verification and or a new vin. I never had to do that and I know more people that didn't have to do that, then had to. I would probably avoid that at all cost. They are normally weeks out, if not months. The dmv accept my vin verification from Toyota. So I'm sure you can take it to any dealership and they'll do one for you.

I'm probably forgetting a step or 4, or maybe something has changed within the past year. Call or text me with your questions and I'll do my best to help.

Cheers,
Angelo
Thanks a bunch! Unfortunately mines gas. At least for now. You've given me enough to get going anyway

Who's your insurance with? I'm with hagerty for now because I couldn't find anyone else

Last edited:
Thanks a bunch! Unfortunately mines gas. At least for now. You've given me enough to get going anyway

Who's your insurance with? I'm with hagerty for now because I couldn't find anyone else
You still need to get it inspected for that form.

I have USAA for insurance. No issues with them.

Of course. If or when I swap a diesel in I'll have to do it again I suppose.
Angelo helped me out with my process as well Hes a pretty cool dude. Inspection took about 15 mins, and I was out the door with my form. Also, for insurance I use state farm I walked into a local branch in my area, and they set me up and I was good to go!

Angelo helped me out with my process as well Hes a pretty cool dude. Inspection took about 15 mins, and I was out the door with my form. Also, for insurance I use state farm I walked into a local branch in my area, and they set me up and I was good to go!
Thanks I'll check with state farm. We are with allstate and they won't touch it. Haggerty was pretty easy but limited coverage.

Thanks I'll check with state farm. We are with allstate and they won't touch it. Haggerty was pretty easy but limited coverage.
I had the same struggle as you did with insurance. My insurance actually dropped my truck a month after I bought it and told me good luck. I found that it was easiest to just call a local state farm office and I took my 81 by and they looked it over and said no problem we can cover it. I'd suggest just going in person you will have better luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom