Any cheap roof storage box suggestion? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Can anyone recommend a cheaper alterative to pelican storage boxes? Something weatherproof.

I just want to store my oil/coolant/fluids/ compressor in it.

Are you planning to store it inside or on the roof? Would something like this work?
If you were putting it on the roof I have a shorter version of this
I've had one of these for at least 20 years and it's still going strong.

I have a combo of those two styles. My plastic hardiggs are the bigger ones though. The aluminium ones are absolute air tight. They'll create vacuum pressure when gaining elevation. The plastic are super weather resistant but not water proof. I can kneel on them and hear air escape. They've never gotten wet inside in rain or snow storms though.
Both are pretty heavy when loaded.

1611973338702.png

I have a couple of these Plano storage trunks from amazon that rode ~1000 miles on my roof through snow and rain that stayed dry.
I have another that stays outside at my shooting table with paper targets and such in it. In ~9 months of Kansas weather, my targets haven't gotten wet yet.
I ran a bead of silicone along the groove to make them more water tight.
If you're looking for cheaper, it's hard to beat these.

Last edited:
Hardigg ('military pelican) is hard to beat and being that you're in LA check the local sites (Offer Up, CL, etc.) because there's always folks selling them for cheap, just have to be patient and find your sizes (and there are also people who think they are worth more than gold, so steer clear).

I've used Hardigg and Pelican in the past on various rigs and while top-notch quality, they're also heavy and can be bulky depending on the size, so take that into account as you plan for stuff to sit on your rack. I second JayDoc's suggestion, those Plano boxes are MONEY, great bang for your buck and I've transitioned to these almost exclusively for all my hunting gear.

Got some Plano boxes from home depot. And mounted it on the OEM rack. Everything was under 90 bucks. The smaller box actually have a weather strip in it. And the bigger box I added a weather strip myself.
20210126_122927.jpg
20210126_122910.jpg

another Plano vote...I keep 2 inside the trailer loaded...no complaints

Amazon product ASIN B007TOHHX8
I have a couple of these that rode ~1000 miles on my roof through snow and rain that stayed dry.
I have another that stays outside at my shooting table with paper targets and such in it. In ~9 months of Kansas weather, my targets haven't gotten wet yet.
you got a pic of that bead? thx

Third (fourth?) vote for Plano boxes. They are weatherproof, not bear proof but definitely weatherproof, and if you add some 5/16 gasket in the lining of the lid you could practically submerge it. I have two on the roof for any trip, 68 qt is about the perfect size, also have a 56 qt but switching it out to a 68. Also going to get either a 68 or the 108 to put my ground tent in since my soft top roller bag is not water proof and very sun faded.
IMG-4348.jpg

View attachment 2569306

I have a couple of these Plano storage trunks from amazon that rode ~1000 miles on my roof through snow and rain that stayed dry.
I use one of these for my pans. They are nice boxes. Saw them at Home Depot for $15.00 the other day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom