another cdl question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
i just bought a 95 80 series and the cdl light on the dash never illuminates. when i turn on they key all the lights come on except that one. When i put the truck in low the cdl def does not engage because it will not cross the ditch in front of my house because of the front tires not wanting to spin. Occasionaly if i ride it aound in low the abs light will illuminate but when i got back to the ditch and get to spinning it goes away. should i hear an actuator or anything when i pull it in low? because i hear nothing although i am half deaf haha.

i just bought a 95 80 series and the cdl light on the dash never illuminates. when i turn on they key all the lights come on except that one. When i put the truck in low the cdl def does not engage because it will not cross the ditch in front of my house because of the front tires not wanting to spin. Occasionaly if i ride it aound in low the abs light will illuminate but when i got back to the ditch and get to spinning it goes away. should i hear an actuator or anything when i pull it in low? because i hear nothing although i am half deaf haha.

You should hear the actuator motor run and that's my first test. If you still have the seat belt/door buzzers working it will be hard to hear from the driver's seat. Get under the rig near the transfer, have a helper turn the key to run and shift the transfer, with each shift the actuator motor should run for a few seconds.

If it runs and doesn't lock, it's probably bound in the output (shifting) side of the actuator. If it doesn't run, you ether have an electrical problem or a bound actuator motor. If the motor is bound and you keep trying it there is a risk of letting the expensive smoke out of the motor.

dont hear a thing under there....whats this smoke ur talking about?

so the smoke was from it burning up?

i also tried the hazard switch deal and still nothing no relays clicking or anything any ideas?

am i supposed to hear any sounds other than the actuator? before i got shifting the case a 100 times id like to know if there is something else i need to listen for in the cab such as a relay clicking, etc...

got it workin! stuck my deaf-a%^ ear next the kick panel and heard a click so just kept pushed my hazard button and it eventually worked

so the smoke was from it burning up?

Sorry for the confusion, it's an old Tech saying. When most electrical parts fail smoke is released, so it was said that they work on magic/expensive smoke. If you release the smoke they no longer work.

i also tried the hazard switch deal and still nothing no relays clicking or anything any ideas?

am i supposed to hear any sounds other than the actuator? before i got shifting the case a 100 times id like to know if there is something else i need to listen for in the cab such as a relay clicking, etc...

Yes you should hear the relay click, if not some tests;

The circuit is powered by terminal 3, the blue/black wire at the relay box, should have power when the key is on.

The relay is switched by terminal 7 the black/blue wire, it should have power when the switch is pressed or transfer is shifted into low. If not could be a bad connection, switch, etc.

Ground for the relay comes from the actuator position wiper switch, terminal 10 should have a good ground when the actuator is in the unlocked position. Could be a bad connection or the most common failure, the wiper in the actuator is not making a good connection, rusty, gunked, needs to pulled and cleaned.

If the above test good it maybe the relay box, but that is very rare.
cdl_109.jpg
cdl_110.jpg

got it workin! stuck my deaf-a%^ ear next the kick panel and heard a click so just kept pushed my hazard button and it eventually worked

Does the trick almost everytime ;) glad it was yours case as well.

preciate the help guys this is always a knowledgable place to go

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom