Am I putting the seal in backwards? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Sorry for the total newbie question. Rear axle seal on 2003 LX. Trying to figure out why it went from not leaking to leaking badly after I replaced the seals. They are OEM seals.

Any chance they are supposed to go in the other direction??

EF6EA7CE-3119-4119-85BB-ED14CB41F0B6.jpeg

That's the right direction. Could have damaged the seal when installing, easy to do. I've had to redo my seals a couple of times before they sealed properly.

Thanks! Yeah I’ve ordered a proper seal installer tool as well just be be sure. Also going to use a little Mr T Orange sealant on the race surfaces that the seal goes into just be be sure.

Trying to figure out why it went from not leaking to leaking badly after I replaced the seals
Did you not replace the bearing?

If you replaced the bearing, check the placement of the retainer that the seal rides on. If it's pressed on to far, it will not line up with the seal.

It took the dealer 3 tries to figure this out on mine.

Yes that’s exactly where this saga began. I put a locker in and “while it’s apart, I might as well have the bearings replaced”. Took the right and left assemblies to the dealer and I later found they don’t have the tools to follow the FSM for positioning the seal wipe ring. Paid way too much for substandard work….I need to move the wipe ring another 2mm and hopefully that fixes the issue — appreciate all the input, just wanted to make sure I wasn’t chasing all kinds of problems only to have the seal in backwards.

I had a perfectly working axle and now I have 2 sealing leaking and a 3rd member making metal.

But, hey, the locker works

0B3A021B-5C49-48F8-BEFC-8C4002A9CE43.jpeg

That's unfortunate. My third pinion seal was leaking too after a "reputable" land cruiser outfitter shop rebuilt my third and smashed in the pinion seal instead of installing it properly.

I spent a bit of time when I added my locker to make sure I got the seal of the passenger axle riding in the right spot. If you need the press tools, I have the set from the eBayer Duane. It's a good piece of equipment for the 100 rear axle work.

Also consider using a marker to make a line across the sealing surface of the retainer ring to make sure you have the seal right in the middle (or at least not on a spot where there is any wear from the previous install if not using a new ring).

I cant remember if there is a ton of detail about this part of the process, but maybe there's something in here that can help:

If the seal isn't good after the shaft has been inserted, she may cream all over the sheets.

Drat, wrong forum. Sorry!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom