Always on and switched fuses (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Does anyone know or have a diagram for which fuses on the driver side or passenger side (prefer passenger side) are always on or ignition switched? Trying to hardwire a dash cam that requires one of each.

Thanks

I’d go to the Aux plug for key on, that fuse is on the drivers side bit I’d tap power at the back of the plug in the dash.

Hot all the time from the sun visor vanity light.

Actually I’d go power seat for hot all the time.

I used the passenger side fuse box (2020 LC). "7.5A TOW BK/UP" for the always on 12 V power and the "20A S/HTR" for the ignition switched power.

IMG_1501.JPG

I used the passenger side fuse box (2020 LC). "7.5A TOW BK/UP" for the always on 12 V power and the "20A S/HTR" for the ignition switched power.

View attachment 2703109
Did you use add-a-fuse taps (that plug into the fuse socket and add a 2nd fuse) or splice into the wiring some other way? Did you happen to check if the AHC circuits are switched or always live? Since we don't have AHC in our LC's, it would be attractive to use a circuit that isn't actually used for anything else. I took a quick look at that fuse block yesterday - access to it is kind of awkward, but that's not a big deal for essentially a 1 time thing.

Did you use add-a-fuse taps (that plug into the fuse socket and add a 2nd fuse) or splice into the wiring some other way? Did you happen to check if the AHC circuits are switched or always live? Since we don't have AHC in our LC's, it would be attractive to use a circuit that isn't actually used for anything else. I took a quick look at that fuse block yesterday - access to it is kind of awkward, but that's not a big deal for essentially a 1 time thing.

I did use add-a-fuse taps. I didn’t want to cut any wires or permanently modify the car. The add-a-fuse taps did not allow for the fuse box cover to be reinstalled. I didn’t look at or check the AHC circuit.

I did use add-a-fuse taps. I didn’t want to cut any wires or permanently modify the car. The add-a-fuse taps did not allow for the fuse box cover to be reinstalled. I didn’t look at or check the AHC circuit.
Excellent - thanks for the feedback. I was suspicious that the cover wouldn’t fit with the taps installed, but I don’t see that as a problem.

One more quick question - what size fuses are used in the passenger side fuse box? I looked in the owner's manual and it doesn't mention what fuse type is used. Looking at them, I'm not 100% which size they are. It's easy to find the fuse diagrams, but nothing that indicates the sizes. I suppose I could just order one of the kits that includes several sizes...

They are low profile mini fuses, but the regular mini fuses work in a pinch.

75D163CF-5B9B-43B6-A798-6740BCD4A2F7.jpeg

I picked up the add-a-fuse at a local Autozone this morning and got the wiring run this afternoon. All is well with the exception that the S/HTR circuit isn't live in accessory mode. It looks like none of the circuits on the passenger side are live in accessory mode, so I'll need to decide if I want to deal with running a wire to the other side of the dashboard to tap into the cig lighter circuit or be limited to using my device (a cellular router) when the ignition is on. I also need to order a small supply of the low profile mini fuses - I'm using a regular mini fuse for now.

Correct. The S/HTR (2020 LC) powers up in the “Ignition On” (second push of the Start button with foot off of the break peddle) mode. It does not power up in the “Accy” mode.

Oh something else I need to double check is to make sure I installed the add-a-fuse in the correct direction so that the fuse is actually protecting the circuit. If the add-a-fuse is installed backwards, the aux power output will be live if the fuse is pulled out.

Take a look at fuse block photo that I posted earlier in this thread. I noted the “line” side (power to fuse) and the “load” side (power from fuse). When the fuse is pulled out the line side will still have power and the load side will not have power.

Take a look at fuse block photo that I posted earlier in this thread. I noted the “line” side (power to fuse) and the “load” side (power from fuse). When the fuse is pulled out the line side will still have power and the load side will not have power.
Ah - that makes sense. I just checked and verified that pulling the fuse kills the circuit. I also moved the add-a-fuse tap to the circuit just above S/HTR that's completely unused (no fuse installed) and that one is also switched - I suspect all the fuses on that side share a bus, so are all switched.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom