Aluminum Flatbed (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I usually hang out in the 100 Series forum but thought I'd show off what I recently did to my '05 Gen 1 Tundra. I smashed the bed beyond repair and put a Ute aluminum flatbed on as a replacement. I don't use the truck much except for "truck duties" so the flatbed is perfect. I was inspired by those Home Depot rental trucks. Tons of space back there now.

Tundra%20Ute%202_zpshylf4rbp.jpg

Tundra%20Ute%201_zps3xcphe5o.jpg

Very cool, and functional.

Thank you!!!!! Finally found a picture of a flatbed on a 1st gen DC! I've been wanting to do this for a while now

did you make that? or buy it? if the latter, where did you get it? looks rad!

did you make that? or buy it? if the latter, where did you get it?

I never used this truck as a daily driver and have less than 70K miles on it. After I smashed the bed I couldn't find a used one I was happy with and new ones are over 5 grand for the box, tailgate, etc. then you have the expense of prep and paint. The cost is what it is but it at least got me thinking about other options. Our Home Depot always has those rental pickups with the aluminum beds and I thought that would be a perfect for how I use the truck. Did some searching and came across Ute Ltd. out of Seattle. I called and talked to the guy and confirmed they had a model that would fit the Gen 1 Tundra. They are manufactured in Queensland Australia and imported to the port of Seattle. He then had it shipped to DFW. Price shipped was about $3500. It came with rails and brackets to bolt to the frame. My neighbor and I put it on in one day. It also came with the rear light kit and marker lights. I had the stripe put on just to dress it up. The local vinyl shop had a dead on color match to the truck.

Now that it's done I am so glad I went with the Ute. I am super happy with the construction and build quality and it's versatile as hell. The sides fold down and come off leaving a true flatbed if you need. It happened to be the cheaper solution than a new replacement bed but now that I have it I'd have spent more. I plan to keep this truck forever and it certainly doesn't look like a 10 year old pickup anymore.

I never used this truck as a daily driver and have less than 70K miles on it. After I smashed the bed I couldn't find a used one I was happy with and new ones are over 5 grand for the box, tailgate, etc. then you have the expense of prep and paint. The cost is what it is but it at least got me thinking about other options. Our Home Depot always has those rental pickups with the aluminum beds and I thought that would be a perfect for how I use the truck. Did some searching and came across Ute Ltd. out of Seattle. I called and talked to the guy and confirmed they had a model that would fit the Gen 1 Tundra. They are manufactured in Queensland Australia and imported to the port of Seattle. He then had it shipped to DFW. Price shipped was about $3500. It came with rails and brackets to bolt to the frame. My neighbor and I put it on in one day. It also came with the rear light kit and marker lights. I had the stripe put on just to dress it up. The local vinyl shop had a dead on color match to the truck.

Now that it's done I am so glad I went with the Ute. I am super happy with the construction and build quality and it's versatile as hell. The sides fold down and come off leaving a true flatbed if you need. It happened to be the cheaper solution than a new replacement bed but now that I have it I'd have spent more. I plan to keep this truck forever and it certainly doesn't look like a 10 year old pickup anymore.
Just stumbled upon this thread; and just wanted to say you were WAAAAY ahead of your time. i see flatbeds becoming more popular with the overland crowd with stuff like the Norweld modules coming over to the states and stuff like the flatbed Campers from Four Wheel Pop-up Campers. Just wanted to say well done!

Thanks for the thumbs up FALKOR8. It's been a couple of years now and the Ute bed continues to perform awesome. Been a very useful truck. 12 years old now and just turned 80K.

Very cool!
What are the dimensions of the bed?
Was there any difficulty in mounting it?

UTE has different sizes. The one I put on my Gen 1 has inside bed dimensions of about 6'5" wide X 7' long. It's been used several times to help people move and a king size mattress fits perfectly like it was made for it. Mounting was actually quite easy. The bed came with steel mounting rails that make it pretty universal. The OEM bed was held on by only six bolts and I used those same locations to mount the new rails. Once the rails are on the aluminium bed simply bolts to those. I didn't have to do any cutting, welding, or anything.

I ask be
UTE has different sizes. The one I put on my Gen 1 has inside bed dimensions of about 6'5" wide X 7' long.

I ask because when I talked to Randy, he said they only had 4 models: 6x6.5, 6x5.5, 7x8.5, 7x7.
Yours must be the 7x7 model.

Yours must be the 7x7 model.
I just looked at the invoice. The line item is as follows:
Item Code: H66UTE
Description: 6 1/2 WIDE SHORT BED with Tube HB​
Hope that helps. Just PM me if you want any specific measurements or pictures of anything.

Awesome flatbed! I’m looking at getting a Ute flatbed on a first gen. Wondering what the height is from the base of flatbed to the top of cab. I would like to put a camper on the flatbed and I’m wondering how high the cab over part would have to be. Thanks!

Wondering what the height is from the base of flatbed to the top of cab.
I just measured and it's 37 1/2 inches from the base of the bed to the top of the cab.

Great thanks. Truck looks really good. I got a quote and it's now $5k with freight and light kit ouch
Oh man. I did this in the first place because it was so much cheaper than putting a new stock bed on, painting, etc. $5k sure puts the two options closer. After sever years I'm still super happy with it. It's been extremely functional utility wise and gives the truck a much different look. I get a lot of comments about it. Good luck whatever you decide. If you go with the Ute let me know if you need any specific pics of anything.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom