Alu Cab Gen 3 Expedition Tent on 5th Gen 4Runner? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey all wondering if anyone is running this tent and what they think of it. Seems that most who run it use a Frontrunner full size rack, but don’t want to drill so would like to do a Gobi Stealth Rack as no drilling required. It has a unique mounting system using brackets which is different for sure. But looks to be a quality unit. Any input appreciated.

375C9EBF-C7DA-436B-87C1-34B520E354CE.jpeg

Hey all wondering if anyone is running this tent and what they think of it. Seems that most who run it use a Frontrunner full size rack, but don’t want to drill so would like to do a Gobi Stealth Rack as no drilling required. It has a unique mounting system using brackets which is different for sure. But looks to be a quality unit. Any input appreciated.

View attachment 2553106

I've had one for almost two years now. Originally mounted it on a set of alu-cab load bars, but now it's on a Dissent rack. Each time has taken at least a little bit of engineering to mount it.

The tent has been great. There are a lot of newer similar options now that I'd consider as well. When I purchased it fit the requirements I had.

IMG_20191208_160620.jpg

Thanks. Are you using two brackets on each side? Need to see one of these in person to see how they mount and what racks will work. Vagabond still does not have any in yet. Did you get yours locally?

Thanks. Are you using two brackets on each side? Need to see one of these in person to see how they mount and what racks will work. Vagabond still does not have any in yet. Did you get yours locally?

I'm using three brackets per side. @Saddletramp and I fabricated a third bracket out of some steel angle for the front. OK4wd advised only two brackets were necessary on the side mounting rail since that's where most of the weight would be located. I think the spacing didn't work out for the 100 series roof rack brackets I had. The two mounts would have been too close together. So we made a third mount for the very front. A rack where you can slide the crossbars around to where you need them is probably the easiest way. Initially, I didn't want to pay $1000 for a rack to mount a $4000 tent. I used load bar feet I already had and purchased alu-cab cross bars. Later, I got a free Dissent roof rack, so moved it to that.

You're more than welcome to come check mine out if you want. I'm in North Scottsdale, just off the 101.

I got mine from Mudrack in California. They were the west coast distributor at the time. I think OK4wd is the main US distributor, but that could've changed.

I really appreciate that. As the tents are not cheap, I would love to see one in person. Rack I am considering is a Gobi Stealth without front rise so as not to interfere with length of tent. It is made of round tubing with round cross bars I believe that are adjustable I am pretty sure. Not sure how rounded crossbars will play with the brackets that Alu Cab uses, unless the load bars will mount to a rounded side rail. Anyways will send you a PM. Tom

I'm using three brackets per side. @Saddletramp and I fabricated a third bracket out of some steel angle for the front. OK4wd advised only two brackets were necessary on the side mounting rail since that's where most of the weight would be located. I think the spacing didn't work out for the 100 series roof rack brackets I had. The two mounts would have been too close together. So we made a third mount for the very front. A rack where you can slide the crossbars around to where you need them is probably the easiest way. Initially, I didn't want to pay $1000 for a rack to mount a $4000 tent. I used load bar feet I already had and purchased alu-cab cross bars. Later, I got a free Dissent roof rack, so moved it to that.

You're more than welcome to come check mine out if you want. I'm in North Scottsdale, just off the 101.

I got mine from Mudrack in California. They were the west coast distributor at the time. I think OK4wd is the main US distributor, but that could've changed.
Hey...searching Mud. I've started researching RTTs and have narrowed it down to AluCab 3.1 and an Ikamper 2.0. Curious about when you mounted your alucab to the dissent rack, did you use Ben's RTT mounts or the ones from Alu? Trying to research how it will mount on my dissent rack and then whether if my OVS 270 will still fit or if I need to rethink that awning/rtt mix. Also, it looks like most folks have good clearance still from the rear hatch perspective but any issues with your setup?

Thanks for any info!!!

Nick

Hey...searching Mud. I've started researching RTTs and have narrowed it down to AluCab 3.1 and an Ikamper 2.0. Curious about when you mounted your alucab to the dissent rack, did you use Ben's RTT mounts or the ones from Alu? Trying to research how it will mount on my dissent rack and then whether if my OVS 270 will still fit or if I need to rethink that awning/rtt mix. Also, it looks like most folks have good clearance still from the rear hatch perspective but any issues with your setup?

Thanks for any info!!!

Nick

I used the alu-cab mounts and we fabricated a mount for the front. The mounting points don't really line up with the mounting locations on the Dissent rack. We drilled for the front mounts and used some of the rack hardware to attach the alu-cab brackets in the rear.

The Dissent mounts raise the tent up another inch or something, and I wanted it to be as low as possible.

I have had no issues with the rear tailgate. I fabricated some mounts for my arb awning to attach to the tent itself.

The whole thing is really solid. I'm happy with it.

I did fabricate an aluminum piece to fill in the gap between the Dissent air dam and the tent. That really knocked down the noise. I can also say that gorilla tape works well for about a year until you get around to making a permanent solution.

I used the alu-cab mounts and we fabricated a mount for the front. The mounting points don't really line up with the mounting locations on the Dissent rack. We drilled for the front mounts and used some of the rack hardware to attach the alu-cab brackets in the rear.

The Dissent mounts raise the tent up another inch or something, and I wanted it to be as low as possible.

I have had no issues with the rear tailgate. I fabricated some mounts for my arb awning to attach to the tent itself.

The whole thing is really solid. I'm happy with it.

I did fabricate an aluminum piece to fill in the gap between the Dissent air dam and the tent. That really knocked down the noise. I can also say that gorilla tape works well for about a year until you get around to making a permanent solution.
Thanks for the quick reply. Good to know that the Dissent mounts raise the tent, I want the low profile look as well. My guess is I'll have to work with my supplier/installer on fabbing some brackets and switch out the fairing (currently running light bar, but it's noisy) Any chance you could shoot me a few pics of brackets for reference? Also, when you say you have your ARB awning mounted, are you saying it's mounted to the load bars on the side of the tent? Or did you use the Alucab awning mounts and retrofitted them for your ARB awning?

Thanks for the quick reply. Good to know that the Dissent mounts raise the tent, I want the low profile look as well. My guess is I'll have to work with my supplier/installer on fabbing some brackets and switch out the fairing (currently running light bar, but it's noisy) Any chance you could shoot me a few pics of brackets for reference? Also, when you say you have your ARB awning mounted, are you saying it's mounted to the load bars on the side of the tent? Or did you use the Alucab awning mounts and retrofitted them for your ARB awning?

Brackets are pretty simple. Just some angle iron for the front bracket, flat steel for awning, and flat aluminum for the air gap. Awning is mounted to the track on the side of the tent.

PXL_20210623_210020762.jpg
PXL_20210623_210030847.jpg
PXL_20210623_210045212.jpg
PXL_20210623_210159245.jpg

There is now a direct mount option with Alu Cabs load bars available from Tiny Rig in Westminster, CA. Eliminates the need for a rack on a 5th Gen 4Runner. This is the route I am considering.

If anyone is interested, I have 3 alu-cab load bars I'm not using. $150 for all 3. They're the raw aluminum, not black.

If anyone is interested, I have 3 alu-cab load bars I'm not using. $150 for all 3. They're the raw aluminum, not black.
I'm interested, would you mind taking a picture please?

I've had one for almost two years now. Originally mounted it on a set of alu-cab load bars, but now it's on a Dissent rack. Each time has taken at least a little bit of engineering to mount it.

The tent has been great. There are a lot of newer similar options now that I'd consider as well. When I purchased it fit the requirements I had.

View attachment 2553162

Hey man - I am receiving my dissent roof rack for my 100 series in a few weeks.

I went through the thread and am struggling to understand exactly what you ended up doing. I took am trying to avoid the added height by using the cross bars between the rack and the tent.

Thanks.

Hey man - I am receiving my dissent roof rack for my 100 series in a few weeks. What did you do to get your Alu-Cab mounted to it? Trying to avoid the Alu-Cab crossbars because of the added height it would produce.

Thanks.

I mounted the tent using a couple of dissent roof rack bolts that lined up with the Alu-cab mounting brackets. I also fabricated some brackets for the very front above the sun roof to tie down the front of the tent. I had to drill a hole for these. The tent technically only needs two brackets, but the spacing on the 100 series roof rack mounts are pretty close together. Also, I also bent some aluminum to mount on the front and fill in the gap between the fairing and the front of the tent to reduce wind noise. It helps a lot. Here are some pics. Hope that helps.

PXL_20230223_174503862.MP.jpg
PXL_20230223_174517205.MP.jpg
PXL_20230223_174528617.MP.jpg
PXL_20230223_174541860.MP.jpg

This is super helpful thank you.

I actually have everything I need (besides the gap filler) to mount mine directly already. This is great news. Thank you for your help.

JR

This has proven to be super stable. I've had mine mounted like this for almost 3 years with no issues. I am going to add some rubber or something to fill in space between the bottom tent rails and the load bars. There is a small gap and I've noticed some squeaking while moving around in the tent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom