All-American Road Trip (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey all, I'm planning a massive road trip, about 9000 miles, with my friends for next summer, and I want to make sure its as good as it can be. I know its a bit early for planning, but I figured that it couldn't hurt.

I live in New York, and I plan on heading South first.

Heres a map of my route, the darker lines are alternate routes. Its a big map, sorry :p

united_states_wall_2002.jpg

Now, I'm wondering if any of you have any ideas for roads that I neeeeed to go on, or something along those lines. Basically suggestions!
Im sure plenty of you have go on expeditions such as this. I'm definitely looking for some good offroading opportunities too! Thanks all.

I did a similar trip in 06, but I went south from yellowstone down to moab then back east on 70.

Looks like your driving through the Harpers Ferry, wv area. I'll keep an eye out for you guys.

That's huge. How many months? If you only have one, forget about it. 9000 miles = 300 miles a day, meaning at least driving 6 hours a day, any day, and missing plenty of stuff along the way.

Two months look more manageable, but three would be great. My favorites on your way in the West where I used to roam, beyond the obvious (Grand Canyon, Death Valley, Yosemite, Tahoe, Arches, Canyonlands, Bryce, Zion, Monument Valley, Glacier, Yellowstone...):

- Taos (NM)
- Mesa Verde NP (CO) - incredible native Americans houses
- Capitol Reef NP (UT) - a hidden gem off the beaten track
- Kodachrome Basin State Park SE of Bryce (UT) is stunning.
- The Lake Powell area (UT/AZ)
- Hwy 1/101 from LA to the OR coast and beyond, to Olympic NP West of Seattle WA (don't miss that)
- Crater Lake NP in OR is INCREDIBLE, as is the Cascades range (Mt Rainier, Mt Hood, Mt St Helens)
- If you want some offroading, Joshua Tree or the Red Rock Canyon area north of LA is great, even if summer is red hot there.

But once again, be careful about not overestimating your driving fatigue.

Keep us posted. :cheers:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom