Alignment quote - need advice (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey listers,

Quick question. I brought my '96 in for an alignment. They stated that they could not get the tie rod ends & sleeve adjustments to move one bit. Of course, they want to order me all new parts and go from there. In talking with some Toyota enthusiasts over the weekend, they seconded that Toyotas do have problems with the tie rod ends being "difficult".

Is there any advice from the board as to "tricks of the trade" to loosen the above mentioned parts?

Please reply.

Thanks,

--Jeff Nordeen
Victoria, MN

Soak them with PB Blaster, Kroil or Toyopeen as discussed in other recent threads for several days.

as PPC posted...soak them in PB Blaster.

Also, heat them up with torch to try to break free.

I had the EXACT same problem. I live in Mass and the salt just corroded the hell out of all my tie rod & drag link ends. When i brought it into the shop for an alighment they were seized also. I watched and helped the guys out in the shop for over 1 1/2 hours try to free them up..no luck. :mad:

So, i decided that i will/must replace them..,both the rods (tie rod and drag link) and the ends. I decided not to go with the OEM rods. Instead, i bought the heavy duty tie rod and drag link from SLEE OFF ROAD :D..and got brand new ends from James @ cruiserparts.com. :D

good luck,
Joe M

I replaced both the tie rod and drag link in about 1 hour..drove it down to the alignment shop...problem solved. :cheers:

I have over 130K miles on my LC and it has never needed to be realigned. Tires wear even and I got 80K miles out of the original Michelin's and I have 50K miles on the replacement BFG AT/KO's and still have 10/32's of thread. Are you guys screwing up your alignment on big rocks :flipoff2: ;)

I can 4? or fifth that job being a pain . :-X . I remember returning from my walk , thinking the 80 would be aligned already , and there it was still up on the hoist ??? . They said it was a bitch . My presence didn't help , because the guy tried even harder on the wrenches ... torqued so hard that it gained a wee too much potential energy and of course flew off into the air , smackin him in the head . I too pitched in , and we eventually got it to move . Drove away more or less happy that it got done , but realized too late my steering wheel was a bit off , but didn't have the heart to return ...

Definately a job to be soakin first ... :whoops:

I spent several days heading and fighting to get mine apart.I got them apart but striped the threads in the rod. I work hard to get the end on the striped rod. It is now very tight. Had I know Slee had the HD rods I would of went that route.'
Get new OEM ends and Slee rods. Lube up the threads with Antisieze so it wont happen again.

I posted the same problem with my 97 LX450 several months ago. I took my truck into the several shops for an alignment and to my surprise the alignment guys at the shop told me they can not adjust the tie end rods and they didn't want to or have time to mess around with the tie-ends either with a heating torch or soaking it. So, I took it to another shop for a second opinion and they too had difficulty adjusting the rods.

So with that said, I'm wondering if I should soak it in PB Blaster for several days before taking it to the mechanic for another alignment or should I just replace the whole tie rods, ends and drag links altogether.

Any opininons as to how I should approach this?

Thanks -J

recntly bent mine and had to have it replaced. I went with 4130 Chromoly steel arms from all pro because they use fj80 ends with all thier high steer kits....so far so good. just did the install....so far so good. shouldnt be bending those.....i think it is an upgrade i would have done sooner or later because of the location....good luck..

Kurt,

And I thought you were kidding about changing your ID... :D

Now that you're through with landtoy80, can I have it?

-B-

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom