Aisin Manual Hub C-Clip Question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Will Van

GOLD Star
Threads
Hey guys, I am trying to wrap up my Aisin manual hub install on my 1996 HZJ75. For the life of me I cannot get the c-clip to seat on the driver’s side birf. I used an M8 bolt to pull the birf out as far as possible. I can hear the birf “clunk” on the backside of the wheel hub, so I know I’m getting it all the way out. But I cannot get the c-clip on. I’m using a good set of duck-nose pliers that I have had success with in the past.

Any pros have some tips or tricks? Would it help to jack up the tire and spin it?

F93-C6-D8-E-F51-D-49-B4-9-B72-EF5605-F0-D998.jpg

01114-DD4-2-D3-A-437-F-9588-1-C30-AFDB302-E.jpg

The passenger’s side for reference. I have the correct birfs, right? I know Auto hubs and Warn hubs have to swap birfs.
54-DD2-A8-F-6301-4714-8-BF0-8-A2-C4-AE4660-E.jpg

Thank you!

A portion of the c-clip would seat near one end of the clip. I was able to get it fully seated by jacking up the wheel, temporarily installing the hub dial, locking the hub, and rotating the wheel back and forth. Then move the dial to free, disassemble hub, and tap the c-clip in place with a punch. It was basically just rotating the c-clip around on the birf, which allowed me to push it in place.

As a test, I tried to push the birf flush again (toward the diff) and it wouldn’t budge. So I think I have it correctly seated.

But I may go ahead and order thinner c-clips regardless.

Either way, thank you for your help.

Is the body of the hub being prevented from seating all the way?

Doesn't the birf ride up against the wheel bearing? Maybe the bearing has just a hair left from being pressed in all the way?

Get a thinner c-clip.

Those c-clips come in various size thicknesses.

90520-31005 through 90520-31010

View attachment 2696198

You most likely have 90520-31007.
I just ordered all of the above c-clips to be safe. They came in yesterday.

I’m not sure what PN my old c-clip was (it measured exactly 2.5mm), but c-clip 90520-31007 (2.4mm) fit perfectly. Seated immediately.

Thank you for your help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom