Airing Down for Snow and Ice Driving (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Scott,
Great pics! I have the same rig as you and i'm heading to my cabin today here in socal (San Diego county). We are being hit hard by the same storm so i will be driving in major snow today. I will lower my pressure and see how it goes. I'll take pics too and see if they match yours. :cool:

Let me know...post some pic's when you get back.
Scott

Didn't quite make it to the cabin...........heavy wet snow causing many trees to snap, one of which, very large oak, fell across the road, blocking both lanes and taking down the power lines. I did get some good pics though but being a newbie, I haven't figured out how to attach and post them...any tips?

Does the 80 have any sort of traction control? Or are you basically running what the 60s have - open diffs, 50/50 split in the transfer case, mechanical linkages?

Trying to get an idea of how to approach winter driving in the 60.

Thanks.

80's are equipped with a full time T/C. Basically an open differential inside it.

80's are equipped with a full time T/C. Basically an open differential inside it.

The 93-97 have a "viscous coupler" in the transfer case - so more like a limited slip dif I think.

The 93-97 have a "viscous coupler" in the transfer case - so more like a limited slip dif I think.

I know. ;p

You can really feel the VC in snow. Got to play around with it the other day. Was trying to get the back end to kick out, but the VC kept kicking in and the front wheels would pull me out of it. :frown:

You can really feel the VC in snow. Got to play around with it the other day. Was trying to get the back end to kick out, but the VC kept kicking in and the front wheels would pull me out of it. :frown:

Actually, I think that's an AWD thing. I don't have a VC, but my truck will do the same thing you just described.

I just pull the e-brake. :hillbilly:

I ususaly run my MTRs at 40lbs on the street but found that in certain snow conditions at 40lbs they will not clear the snow and will turn into 35inch snowballs. Lowering the pressure to 30lbs rectifies this condition. I think the lower pressure alows more flex at the contact patch which helps clear the snow.

Finally figured out how to post some pics...just needed to get 10+ posts on the board. Anyway, here is a shot from last Wednesday in Julian, CA. I didn't air down as low as some of you suggested, but I dropped 10psi to 40psi and had no problem with traction. It was really dumping...near white-out conditions.
dp&car.jpg
Julian 12-08 012.jpg

Finally figured out how to post some pics...just needed to get 10+ posts on the board. Anyway, here is a shot from last Wednesday in Julian, CA. I didn't air down as low as some of you suggested, but I dropped 10psi to 40psi and had no problem with traction. It was really dumping...near white-out conditions.

VCCruzr, nice pic's!
If the snow is not to deep you dont have to air much unless your losing traction.

In this pic I aired down to 9 lbs...was at 13lbs when I started, but wasnt low enough..started digging down to much not staying on top of snow.

Scott
IMG_0734.jpg
IMG_0736.jpg

Scott,
Killier pics! Yeah, I was bummed that the fallen tree closed the highway. I really wanted to test out what the LX could do on the road to my cabin....it is not plowed like the highway is. Maybe again this week as we have more snow in the forecast. Thanks again for the pics. :cheers:

Derrick

I run with the guys that say the smaller footprint better control. I havent had my 80 in the snow or ice enough to say the same for it, but all my other cars have been that way. Just my 2cents.

the which axle to chain up thing is a conundrum on the 80. On all vehicles, the axle to chain up is the regular drive axle in the base model, so for an AWD VW Passat, one would chain up the front axle, not the rear, as the car is built/designed for FWD. With an 80, both axles are powered all the time, so hm. I'll consult my owner's manual and see what is says.

I am guessing the Toyota recommendations is the rear axle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom