Air intake on fender??? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I need to replace the passenger fender on my 08 due to damage. I found a salvage yard selling these fenders off of armored vehicles. They offered to throw in the requisite air box/intake.

I definitely like the idea of getting the air intake up higher than, and away from the wheel well (cleaner air, less chance of dusting) and I'm not a big fan of snorkels.

This seems like a great solution, and being that it's coming from an armored vehicle, I'm guessing it's a professionally done and well thought out mod, but I wanted to get the opinion of folks on this forum before I pull the trigger. What say you? Good idea? Bad idea?

I'll be repainting it anyway, so it should look far less ghetto when it's complete.

Should I fill the extra holes? Do they serve some purpose? Mounting a snorkel?

Thanks fellas!

Resized_20201222_092940.jpeg

Resized_20201222_093007.jpeg

I think you'd get more water into the air intake here than in its normal spot. I'm guessing they get so little rain the desert this works OK there?

I'd pass for the reason Charlie mentioned and also to the best of my knowledge, you're not slapping a snorkel on that fender as those air intake holes are no where near the snorkel template holes I'm aware of.

motor.jpg

What is this?! Does that thing have armor underneath? That might be worth checking out. Those michelin's might be the impossible tyres. You can slash the sides and they still go. Stupid expensive.

Strange they vented to the outside like that. They are placed almost like they want them to collect water? Like a funnel if it was sitting. If they where vertical with the fins facing towards the back might be better. But a cowl hood on a carbureted engine has the same issues with water intake. It is nothing major for the most part except in a very heavy rain. I used to just stuff some cotton wadding at the end of the opening on the hood like a rag. The carbureted motor are a lot more sensitive to moisture than modern motors. Besides I am 100% positive those companies building armored vehicles know what they are doing. Peoples lives are on the line. They would never compromise the mechanics. And there are two different vehicles with the same set up. (maybe that's why they are in a junk yard. HA )

Most of us in the states do not have to worry about dusting. Unless you are attending Burning Man. Dusting occurs driving miles and miles on very fine dry sand/dirt and not paying attention to the filter housing. If you get in that situation on a trip just smear the gasket area with a thick bead of petroleum jelly. 10 penny fix.

View attachment 2533057

What is this?! Does that thing have armor underneath? That might be worth checking out. Those michelin's might be the impossible tyres. You can slash the sides and they still go. Stupid expensive.

Strange they vented to the outside like that. They are placed almost like they want them to collect water? Like a funnel if it was sitting. If they where vertical with the fins facing towards the back might be better. But a cowl hood on a carbureted engine has the same issues with water intake. It is nothing major for the most part except in a very heavy rain. I used to just stuff some cotton wadding at the end of the opening on the hood like a rag. The carbureted motor are a lot more sensitive to moisture than modern motors. Besides I am 100% positive those companies building armored vehicles know what they are doing. Peoples lives are on the line. They would never compromise the mechanics. And there are two different vehicles with the same set up. (maybe that's why they are in a junk yard. HA )

Most of us in the states do not have to worry about dusting. Unless you are attending Burning Man. Dusting occurs driving miles and miles on very fine dry sand/dirt and not paying attention to the filter housing. If you get in that situation on a trip just smear the gasket area with a thick bead of petroleum jelly. 10 penny fix.
looks like the top mounted intercoolers on the vdj200

View attachment 2533057

Well, living in Seattle I've got a lot more to be concerned about regarding rain than dust or sand. I should probably pass on the fender, but what about these impossible tires? Never heard of them and a Google search doesn't reveal much. I could actually use some new tires, so if they sell me these with the wheels that might be a good option.

“Impossible” tires? Why? How often do you deal with slashed tires?

“Impossible” tires? Why? How often do you deal with slashed tires?

Well if your the POTUS, Bill Gates, Jeff Bezos or Putin you have them on your transport vehicles. A pocket knife is not the concern. More like a .50 cal round. The popular brand is Michelin. The line is called PAX system. Good for protection against RPG's and the ex you upset.

I just call them "impossible" tyres. Impossible to destroy.

Last edited:
Well if your the POTUS, Bill Gates, Jeff Bezos or Putin you have them on your transport vehicles. A pocket knife is not the concern. More like a .50 cal round. The popular brand is Michelin. The line is called PAX system. Good for protection against RPG's and the ex you upset.

I just call them "impossible" tyres. Impossible to destroy.

I get all of that. Just didn’t think many world leaders were posting to this forum..

I think the take away is that they're very high quality, durable, and expensive tires that might be able to be snagged for cheap.

Unfortunately, it looks like they also require special rims and special equipment to repair/replace, and Michelin discontinued them many years ago. So even if these are them (long shot) it's probably not worth messing with.

good choice. I had an Acura years ago that these were OEM on. They were to expensive to replace like for like, and as you found out, required new rims to get rid of. Owned that car for 8 years, and never needed to run on flats.

I think the take away is that they're very high quality, durable, and expensive tires that might be able to be snagged for cheap.

Unfortunately, it looks like they also require special rims and special equipment to repair/replace, and Michelin discontinued them many years ago. So even if these are them (long shot) it's probably not worth messing with.

No doubt not worth running any of that stuff. But pretty cool you got a chance to see some of those things. They are oddballs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom