Air Injection and One Way Check Valve (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Pathfinder

I am the STIG
Threads
My rubber air injection hose is non-existant and my oneway check valve is now a 2nd exhaust opening into my engine compartment. I have both the new hose and one way check valve courtesy of the previous owner however I cannot get the old oneway valve off. Any ideas, tips, and or tricks that I can use to get the old one off.

I've tried vice grips however with the tight space was unable to get it off. I am affraid I am going to bend or worse break the pipe going to the exhaust.

Anyone every tackled this before? I am tired of my engine compartment smelling like exhaust.

I used the vise grips, but I also had to heat the check valve with a small propane torch until I was able to remove mine and put the new on one.

Good luck.

David

I'm in the same spot and when I have tried to aggressively go after the check valve, I know I'm going to break the air rail. So, I'm getting a whole new air rail and figure I'll go from there. There are numerous penetrating oils that can also help it get loose - check with any auto store.

Spray some penetrating oil on it and let it set overnight. Then get a plumbers torch and heat it up really good. A pair of big vice grips shold get it off. The pipe to the manifold has a place in it so that you can get a wrench on it to provide counter torque, too. I just had to replace mine about 2 weeks ago. 2 pairs of vice grips was all I needed.

Pathfinder, just confirming your are talking about the check valve that goes down to the exhaust pipe?

I got mine out fairly easily. It's a bit awkward, I think I used an adjustable wrench with a side of elbow grease.

I had to replaced mine and I decided I couldn't get it off in place easily. It was the original one and rusted on good. I hacksawed the whole pipe off and removed it from the cruiser where I could get the valve off easily. Then went to a local muffler shop and had him weld it back in with the new one already installed.

Pathfinder, just confirming your are talking about the check valve that goes down to the exhaust pipe?

I got mine out fairly easily. It's a bit awkward, I think I used an adjustable wrench with a side of elbow grease.

I thought he was talking about the one coming off the air rail, behind the PS pump reservoir -

No this is the one after the rubber hose coming off the air rail. I tried a propane torch and penatrating lube with no avail. I have some more lube on there and I am going to give it a go tommorrow.

How long did you leave the torch on there? Get that thing to where it's orange. Then it'll come off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom