Air Conditioning Line Repair - An Install and Review of Dorman 800-673

elk

My rear 5/16" condenser hardline sprung a pinhole leak at a bend, effectively venting my r134a and creating a bigger hole in the ozone layer.

The replacement hardline is about 5 feet long and fairly expensive. I thought I'd try a Dorman 5/16" line splice kit and cut out the hardline to isolate the bent section without removing the entire unit, then braze it closed.

Amazon.com: Dorman 800-673 Air Conditioning Line Splice Kit for 5/16" Line: Automotive

The hardline splice adds 1/8" overall length to the line and seals very well, but my braze was ineffective. I used Bernzomatic Al3.

Bernzomatic AL3 Aluminum Brazing and Welding Rods-334491 - The Home Depot

MAPP gas gave me a nice flow with the rod, although I had to use some additional flux. Sadly the line was pitted and the braze did not seal it.

Plan B was to use Dorman's 800-673 5/16" line splice kit.

Amazon.com: Dorman 800-673 Air Conditioning Line Splice Kit for 5/16" Line: Automotive

IMG_3453.JPG

The kit arrives with decent quality anodized connectors and Goodyear high pressure line.

IMG_3454.JPG

The instructions are straightforward.

IMG_3455.JPG

IMG_3456.JPG

Cut out the damaged section with a pipe cutter, then clean surfaces with 200 grit sand paper.

IMG_3457.JPG

Note my prior attempts at a braze.

elk

IMG_3458.JPG

Lubricate the fittings with mineral oil, then clamp the bands closed. I used a 90 degree clipper with good success.

IMG_3459.JPG

The line installed. My camera stinks in low light conditions.

I ran a basic Harbor Freight manifold and vacuum pump for an hour to dry out the high and low pressure lines. I then refilled with 36oz of DuPont r134a. The specs under the hood call for a maximum of 2.42lbs of coolant. I ordered coolant without sealer or lubricant.

Amazon.com: 3 Cans R-134a DuPont Suva A/C Automotive Refrigerant/Freon R134a (12oz Cans): Automotive

Filled things up with both climate controls set to max cold. All three cans went in within about 10 minutes and the air conditioning blows ice cold again.

I have $66 dollars in parts and coolant invested, $17 in a spare connector that I didn't end up using. I ended up using 20% off coupons at Harbor Freight for the pump and manifold coming out at $118. The repair was a :banana: job lasting a total of maybe 2.5 hours over 2 days including a failed attempt at brazing the line (another $4 in Al3 rod).

Not bad.

Last edited:

elk

A crimping tool would be preferable, but a pair of cutting dykes did the job.

Awesome. As the guy that replaced both sections of that smaller line last summer to the tune of ~400 bucks for the parts I'm impressed with this solution and I'll definitely go this route when they rot out again.

Top Bottom