AHC ride problem, and my experience w/ B and B suspension (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey fellas,

Back in late 2007, my AHC ride was feeling loose, and sometimes felt like a blown shock. Small undulating bumps were rough, but not like a stiff shock (one symptom of flat accumulator) but more like a blown out strut (very soft and not dampened). This made the truck sway funny on uneven roads. I had approx 100k miles on it.

I found out about Keith Bowers (Texasoil) and B and B suspension. I thought I'd give it a try and ordered the globes. $1432 (shipped). All I can say about this is his packaging sucks.

Anyway, the 4 actuators were eventually installed, and the fronts felt good, the rears felt super stiff... (like the accumulators were overcharged, or flat). I told Keith and he immediately sent out another set for the rear. I just installed them yesterday, and the results were good. (Keith, I'm sending the old pair to you asap).

As for installation, here's a few things I went through:

-Put a jack on the middle of the frame, on the side you are working on. Then open the bleed screw SLOWLY. When the pressure is off, on all 4 corners, you can now remove the old globes.

-A Ford fan wrench from Kragen ($25) worked perfectly to remove the stock oem globes. I installed the aftermarket globes by hand, nice and snug. I don't think they will come off by themselves.

-The larger globes went on the rear (like oem setup).

-A bracket for the running board had to be loosened up to make a little room to install the front/left B&B globe. After the globe is in, the bracket can be retightened no problem.

-Bleeding the AHC: This might be overkill, but it worked well for me... First fill the AHC reservoir w/ new fluid. I went up to 3/4 tank full. Then i started the engine, and hit the AHC switch to Hi... then N... then Low... and back to High (waiting to make sure the pump finished for each level). Then I bled the globe starting from the rear. Make sure to crack open the bleeder screw very slow. I would bleed it but stop before the suspension was fully down. I didn't use a jack at all for bleeding.

-I started the engine, raised/lowered/raised the AHC, shut off engine, and then bleed 1 globe... for EACH globe. This way I knew each one was under pressure when bled. I bled the fronts 2 times for each globe, and 3 times for each rear ones... which means I started the engine and cycled the AHC 10 times total.
This may not be totally necessary, but it worked great... plus it's easy. Time consuming, but easy.

-I went through 1.5 cans of Toyota AHC fluid... I think that's enough to flush the old fuild out.

I went through some ordeal to get to this point, but the actual AHC globes were easy to replace and flush.

'EDIT- The ride is still a bit on the stiff side, still trying to figure this out. Definitely better than the worn out oem AHC actuator globes, but still not the same Lexus ride I'm looking for. (this truck is bone stock... not looking to lift or replace w/ normal shocks.

Last edited:
Hi

Do you feel expansion joints/cracks, small potholes on lower speed or is it perfectly absorbed? What tires do you use?

Small bumps and such are perfectly absorbed... The ride feels like new again. My LX has 116k miles on it, and it rides like when it was new. I am happy w/ the fix.

As for tires, I am using 285/60-18 Yokohama Geolander H/T-S G052. This is my second set of these tires, and the first set lasted me over 75k miles! The ride is smooth, balances well, and the road noise isn't bad. I am currently running 38 psi on them, but I might lower it a little.

Good to hear everything worked out. I bought a set from B&B but have'nt installed them yet. I also have the harsh ride over expansion joints and pot holes. Plus,the truck ends to float around a bit on the freeway. I'll post the results when I install the new globes.

I appreciate your clarity and directness in your posting. I am curious about the 'packaging' comment. Can you amplify. The present packaging method has been tested to meet the DOT drop test requirements. I am always open to constructive suggestions. I try to use recycled paper and cardboard or bubble wrap inside the box as much as possible to help in our environmental disposal mess. I use what I get if it works and will do the job. Using new wrapping paper and boxes may 'look nice' but would not improve shipping safety and would add a surprising amount of cost, but if that is what customers want, I will provide that. Shipping boxes are surprisingly costly (right now I use recycled boxes rejected for printing mistakes).
I can just raise prices $6/pair and recover the costs of new packaging if you thinks its worth it. Your opinion matters to me.

I do TEST each accumulator on a hydraulic test rig to both verify pre-charge pressure and ensure the accumulator works properly. It is inevitable that some small amount of oil remains inside and may ooze out during shipment.

hope to get my order from b and b,,, as of now im trying to ask them for my tracking number and they cant even give it, its almost a month from since i paid them

hope to get my order from b and b,,, as of now im trying to ask them for my tracking number and they cant even give it, its almost a month from since i paid them
Texasoil hasn't been here since Jan '14 so I'm not sure this is the best way to get a response from his company, if that's what you're looking to do. Let us know how your B & B accumulators work out when you get them installed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom