AHC and Torsion bars (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
What if I replace torsion bars to OME ?

How it's going to effect my AHC ?

Note that I do not want to give up on the AHC but would like to get less tumbling at the front

Appreciate your support ...

What if I replace torsion bars to OME ?

How it's going to effect my AHC ?

Note that I do not want to give up on the AHC but would like to get less tumbling at the front

Appreciate your support ...
Replacing your AHC rated torsion bars with the much stiffer after market OME bars will seriously interfere with your AHC system if you haven't added extra weight. Let's discuss the root cause first - what's "tumbling at the front"?

Tumbling is what I feel compering to my old Hilux with TJM torsion bars - I had him for 14 years and month ago I bought LC100 2006 which is in many aspects huge upgrade but also too much electronics...
I try to pick up all info possible before I do anything stupid!
Recently replace one shock observer and learn that it has to be adjust ... - my mechanic in Israel don't know nothing about this model (there are only few less then 10 and only 2 of them with AHC)
So - hard time for me but I am picking up all data and info quit fast- will have to service the car by myself or at least be involved

Again - I have no attention to replace the AHC but would like to have an upgraded Suspension travel, cross etc...

Any ideas?

Same for me. I just added a TJM bumper and superwinch, totaling 180lbs and I thought upgraded torsion bars would really help. The LC drives fine with the additional weight, but I know the bumper and winch will limit my weight capacity.

I have about 500 lbs or 230 kg of extra weight on my truck and am running the stock torsion bars. I cranked them up 6 times and that seems to work really well with the AHC for most settings. On my off road trip last week with a fully loaded truck (two people, 4 dogs, roof top tent, jerry cans, and gear) I was having trouble going to the H setting so I cranked the torsion bar one additional full turn (7 total) which worked out for the trip, but now that I have unloaded all that gear the truck does not go into the low setting. All this being said I think that cranking your torsion bars and checking the pressures on tech stream is sufficient for most AHC set ups especially without all the extra weight. As a side not I replaced the rear springs with King Springs KTRS-79, which helped the pressures in the rear. Truck feels very balanced now with 6 cranks in front and stiffer springs in the rear. The springs are 25% stronger than stock according to the manufacturer.

I don't know how mechanically inclined you are, but wouldn't you want to check if your AHC is functioning within spec before modifying it?

If it were me, I would follow the adjustment procedure (attached) for both the height, and the pressure levels.

It can be done without any fancy software. There's a procedure listed for adjustment without techstream. (attached)

Attachments

• r-m-2003-suspension-and-axle-active-height-control-system-adjustment-lx470-.pdf
    318.3 KB · Views: 772
I checked the system prior to the upgrades but already was aware that they were out of spec since most of the time I could not get into high mode. I was at 7.5 in the front and 8 in the rear. After torsion bar adjustment and spring replacement I am now at 6.3 front and 6.5 rear.

Replacing your AHC rated torsion bars with the much stiffer after market OME bars will seriously interfere with your AHC system if you haven't added extra weight. "?

How much extra weight would you need for this to be a good idea. I bought on OME kit with plans to remove the AHC but I am having second thoughts. For my use, the AHC amount of lift is plenty and I like all the other features you get with AHC besides lift. I have an ARB front bumper with winch, Roof Rack, Slee Dual swing rear, sliders, skid plates, and a recovery bag. With no one in the LX, it won't go to high but it worked fine before I added all the weight. Can I just put on the OME torsion bars and 864 springs I have from that kit to compensate for the extra weight? My thoughts are that will share the load of the extra weight comparably to the stock set up without the weight while still allowing the AHC to do its thing.

Suggest you look at king spring Australia - KTRS79
will allow you extra 200/250 kg and 30 mm lift
Another option is original Toyota coil spring pink color which allow extra weight and lift - can look for the Toyota part no if you want...

Same with Torsion bars - you can find original Toyota for extra load - make sure to use your VIN number because there's a difference between the diesel TB and gasoline TB.
Diesel TB are longer and stiffer

Hope you find this info useful

So Arnonmg, did you change your tosion bars?

Will do it soon..
Actually I run into turbo issue and took me one month to replace it...
Had 4 working days (on weekend) and 4,000 USD so front bumper, winch, torsion bars etc.. Will have to wait

I got the King KTRS79 and will replace soon

Working now on the rear bumper design ...

I like the idea of keeping my AHC but it needs some help.

The king springs seem to be the fix for the back. I wonder would installing non AHC torsion bars be an equal help for the front? Or maybe go OME or Ironman TBs?

Any input here is appreciated.

I'm not an expert - kind of trial and error guy
Can't see how the AHC can work with non AHC torsion bars ...
I plan on replacing mine with original heavy load torsion bars from Toyota
I would do the same with the rear coil springs if I knew - only after I bought the king spring I found out that Toyota has several options of stiffness and height
The AHC version has 2 options from Toyota , if you want I can pull out the part numbers

Arnon

That's good info, thanks. I have already replaced my rear springs with Toyota AHC springs, the only part number available when i checked. Didn't help much, which is why i was looking at the Kings.

I also can't see how replacing my AHC torsions with more AHC torsion bars would do any good? I would think you'd need something that could bear more weight, which is why i was thinking normal OEM TBs.

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1437075125.651095.jpg

Look at the screen - there are few options for my VIN for example
Check at www.japan-parts.eu
Use your VIN and illustrated catalog to find what you need
Alternatively you can look at other models per territory or specific models that you know to find matching part with different specification

Good luck
Arnon

One last comment about the aftermarket brands you pointed -
I would look at TJM torsion bars for LC 100 with AHC
I had good experience with them in the past - good quality

All the best,
Arnon

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom