Aftermarket Head Unit Installed - Engine Whine and Speaker Noise (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm sure this has been well documented, but after searching 'Mud and Google and finding what seemed to me like unclear information, I thought I'd post my results here.

I installed a Scion head unit with iPod controls in my '93 80 series and immediately had a multitude of problems. The speakers sounded like they were blown, I had a low whine at all times which got much worse when I turned on the lights. It was also affected by the dash ligh dimmer switch. After trying several different things, I finally threw up my hands in frustration. I began searching around and came to one of these conclusions:

1. I had a ground loop somewhere
2. My head unit was bad
3. I needed line filters
4. I'm a moron

Then, last night I came across a post here on mud where others were having very similar problems. Several posts mentioned disconnecting the factory amp, but there seemed to be conflicting information about how to do this, if bypass wiring needed to be installed, etc. But, one post included an excerpt from another source (crutch field maybe) that seemed to indicate that Toyota had run parallel wiring to each speaker, one set through the amp, one bypassing it. So, on that information, I pulled the glove box and disconnected the two grey plugs attached to the amp. And, like magic, it worked! My stereo once again sounds clear and good (well, as good as a 20 year old stereo can sound).

The Scion head unit uses the two grey plugs instead of the larger white plug used by the factory unit, which bypass the amp. However, the factory amp is still sending output to the speakers which causes the aforementioned interference.

Here are some pictures of the amp and the cables I disconnected. Hopefully this can help someone else in my position.
image-436027035.jpg
image-3830666375.jpg

Last edited:
Bad Ground.

Nuff said,

Use a ring terminal, crimped and soldered, find a bolt hole to that the stereo cage is attatched to and sand the heck out of it so its nice n shiny, then mount the terminal with a bolt

Makes for a solid earth/ground

Pilotboy84 said:
Bad Ground.

Nuff said,

Use a ring terminal, crimped and soldered, find a bolt hole to that the stereo cage is attatched to and sand the heck out of it so its nice n shiny, then mount the terminal with a bolt

I'm guessing this is exactly right in a good many cases. Mine just turned out to be the factory amp.

I may have this very situation. I have an aftermarket system with an amp. I have had the stereo in for months and it just started making the whine. Did yours whine immediately after your install or did it start randomly one day?

Bad Ground.

Nuff said,

indeed - accelerator "whine" = bad ground.

sanding down your grounding point (removing any paint or dirt) to ensure - bare metal on bare metal contact and making sure your ring terminal
is absolutely secure - is the key.....

Bf

Could you post pics of your scion head unit

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom