Advice on Running Boards (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Okay, I've been reading a while, and am learning a lot. Fairly recent purchase of a 2000 LX470 with 130K miles. Have posted a bit, and needed some advice. My boss (previous owner) high centered the truck some months ago (prior to my purchasing it), leading to bent/out of line running boards. Now, I know some of you will shout "take the damn things off!", and were it mine, I probably would. However, it's the wife's daily driver, and our 2 and 4 year olds use them to get up into the truck. Not sure if the brackets on the boards are bent or the brackets on the truck. But is this something that's remotely fixable, or do I just need to learn to live with them this way? They just don't meet with the body/wheel wells like they should Otherwise, outside of the rear/front bumpers needing painting, it's in fantastic shape and a pleasure to own/drive. Would appreciate any guidance. I'm just north of Atlanta.

Thanks much,
Greg

the RB's are 4 L brackets, and a piece of sheet metal covered with plastic. Nothing a little bending/hammering cant fix. I mangled the crap out of mine on rocks last year...looks fine now except for scratches on the paint of the plastic cover...whatever. Hav fun!

Hes a deal. ill sell you my running boards. deal!

Thanks loud. Appreciate your reply. Any idea how to get the black plastic step guard off? (or do I need to?). Any tips on breaking them down to get to the brackets? Thanks again. And saw the pics of your truck earlier. Very nice!

look underneath, you can see the brackets. If its just the brackets that are bent, you can take them off (heck you can even take them off without removing the whole board if its only one or two messed up. Then just bend them back.

I dont think you can remove the step guard without destroying the whole thing....or at least having a hell of a time sticking them back on. I also think you can remove the plastic from the metal...but not totally sure.

If yours aren't fixable, I'm sure you can find a used set cheap. I sold mine for like $75. Otherwise, the Slee Slider Steps are awesome! Good luck with the truck.

If yours aren't fixable, I'm sure you can find a used set cheap. I sold mine for like $75. Otherwise, the Slee Slider Steps are awesome! Good luck with the truck.

Thanks, pint. I really appreciate your response. Think I just need to buy some jackstands, and just get under it and see what I can figure out. I love the sliders, and actually went to his site to check them out. Only thing holding me back here is Mom staying home with the little ones severely limits "fun money". But that's okay for now...

But I do appreciate your reply.

yes, these things are typically fixable. I redid mine on the 80 just for the practice after I got sliders. They look great.

More importantly, if you get jackstands, be sure to get good heavy duty ones if you don't want an accident. (I use 12 tons ones, but that is admittedly a bit overkill.)

you can do anything with sliders/rb's without lifting up the vehicle at all. theres more then enough room to work under there.

The AHC HI mode helps a bit.

yes, these things are typically fixable. I redid mine on the 80 just for the practice after I got sliders. They look great.

More importantly, if you get jackstands, be sure to get good heavy duty ones if you don't want an accident. (I use 12 tons ones, but that is admittedly a bit overkill.)

Thanks much. Wondering if jack stands, when listed at 3 tons, is that per stand, or per pair? I'm guessing if the front is lifted on the stands, they're lifting some percentage of ~5400 lbs? Don't worry--I won't buy inferior/risky stands to save 50 bucks. Also, wonder how high the jack needs to be able to lift? Any thoughts?

Absolutely the best mod for a 100 Series is the Slee Sliderstep IMO. If you are saving up, you'd do well to put them at the top of your priority list for your LX.

Like Loud said, you shouldn't need any stands to get under the boards, especially if you use the AHC function. I took mine off in about a half hour. The passenger side has a gas line in the way of the front bracket and bolts, and you need a small, articulating socket wrench to get to the top rear bracket.

To be safer than jack stands, use ramps if you have to lift it.

I don't know how short your family is, but my 4 year old can climb in without them. I never stepped on them, but just kept bruising my shins as I got in. Everybody else in the family is adult sized and had to "learn" to step up and use the grab handles if necessary.

Thanks much. Wondering if jack stands, when listed at 3 tons, is that per stand, or per pair? I'm guessing if the front is lifted on the stands, they're lifting some percentage of ~5400 lbs? Don't worry--I won't buy inferior/risky stands to save 50 bucks. Also, wonder how high the jack needs to be able to lift? Any thoughts?

don't know about all, but many I've seen have the fine print saying it's xx tons / pair not for each, big labels on the box notwithstanding. The rationale being, I guess, that they have to be used in matching pairs. So my 12 tons are 12,000 lbs each. Given that they are reasonably priced chinese stuff, call that 6000 each, you're still 4x over the real weight on them. Should be fine.
right, you're probably supporting about 1/2 of the weight on the front, I imagine the truck is reasonably well balanced, unlike a pickup.
that's another thing, the heavier duty stands are typically higher and wider so more stable. You don't want a skinny little thing with the extension all the way up.

Running boards... take em off and toss em!

don't know about all, but many I've seen have the fine print saying it's xx tons / pair not for each, big labels on the box notwithstanding. The rationale being, I guess, that they have to be used in matching pairs. So my 12 tons are 12,000 lbs each. Given that they are reasonably priced chinese stuff, call that 6000 each, you're still 4x over the real weight on them. Should be fine.
right, you're probably supporting about 1/2 of the weight on the front, I imagine the truck is reasonably well balanced, unlike a pickup.
that's another thing, the heavier duty stands are typically higher and wider so more stable. You don't want a skinny little thing with the extension all the way up.

Thanks. Good point. Guess I'll use the AHC to raise it up and crawl under and see what I can find. Taking them off is still tempting....

Try it with em off on one side to see how the kiddies get in. A little stretching never hurts. Mine did fine.

its good for the growth of there legs

Be sure to wear safety glasses - the running boards are a dirt trap.

X2 on just removing them and replacing with Slee step sliders.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom