Advice for Trip to CO (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi Mudders!

I’ve had Colorado on my bucket list for a long time and am finally planing a trip this summer. I’m looking for a little advice and the mud community has always been super helpful.

I want to focus on the Alpine Loop area but maybe that’s just because I don’t know any better. I want to experience beautiful scenery, do some of the famous passes and check out the historic mining towns. Open to suggestions on trails, camping, and motels.

I’ll have a week off and planning on coming in mid August. Is that a good time to come?

I will be driving my third gen 4runner with a mild lift, 32” tires, a rear locker, and no armor. I’ve been off roading for almost 30 years so I have good experience.

Any advice is very much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Seth

Mid August is perfect. By then all trails will be melted out. Most of us avoid the Alpine Loop simply due to the numbers of people driving it. It’s also a really long day. But that said we have all done it many times. It’s beautiful and worth the time. There are tons of other trail options as well. Order some maps and books. Your truck will be fine on anything but Poughkeepsie Gulch. Depending on weather you could attempt it but at the risk of body damage.

post up any questions on specific trails as there is way too much to list in the San Juan’s.

As far as lodging Silverton is a more central location than Ouray. Ouray has more Restuarant options as well as the hot springs. Silverton maybe a more authentic mining town. There are two mine tours in Silverton, one in Ouray. Regardless of which one you stay in you’ll want to spend time in both. More camping options in Silverton, commercial and dispersed. The Grand Imperial Hotel in Silverton is probably the nicest historic hotel I’ve stayed at. And I‘ve been to a lot. It’s basic but the beds are comfortable and the staff is great. Coffee shop and Saloon in hotel. In Ouray I like the Box Canyon Lodge as they have their own hot springs. It’s been a long time but always enjoyed my stay there in the past. For something unique look at the Wiesbaden in Ouray.

I could go on but do some online looking and ask questions.

Imogene and Engineer are very beautiful and not difficult.
20190808_114354.jpeg
IMG_0281.jpeg
IMG_0279.jpeg
IMG_0269.jpeg

Thank you so much for all the help and advice so far!

Is anyone willing to share some dispersed camping areas? Feel free to PM me if you don’t want to make it public and I promise to keep it under my hat.

If you spend some time on Google earth in the areas you want to visit dispersed spots are pretty easy to spot. If you want to be in a central spot near Ouray look into Ironton. You won’t be alone and it’s along the HWY but is free and central. No cell, even that close to town.

Please invest into a portable toilet and pack out waste if dispersed camping. I use the PETT system. While not required it’s way easier than digging a hole in the rocky soil. Or digging a hole in spot that has been dug 100x already.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom