Adjust your LSPV today, might save you $$$ (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I had this annoying braking issue coming from the rear brakes. Every time I came to a slow stop I would get this weird vibration, drove me crazy. Ofcourse just like any other good 80 owner I decided to self diagnoise(sp) the problem first off I tried

1. Replacing the rotors(vibration still there)
2. Replacecing brake pads (vibration still there)
3. Replaccing all brake lines (vibration still there)
4. Finally replace the whole LSPV-Thanks to my good friend Onur for hooking me up with his spare LSPV. (vibration still there):mad: :mad: :mad:

Then I remember I haven't lowered the LSPV bracket that attaches to the body, since I added my lift:doh: Well I checked a few threads here on mud and Bing Bang Boom lowered the suckered by .25 per the threads I read. Wouldn't you know it the damm vibration went away:) I guess I can take comfort that I have replaced all my brake parts.

Last edited:
So I had this annoying braking issue coming from the rear brakes. Every time I came to a slow stop I would get this weird vibration, drove me crazy. Ofcourse just like any other good 80 owner I decided to self diagnoise(sp) the problem first off I tried

1. Replacing the rotors(vibration still there)
2. Replacecing brake pads (vibration still there)
3. Replaccing all brake lines (vibration still there)
4. Finally replace the whole LSPV-Thanks to my good friend Onur for hooking me up with his spare LSPV. (vibration still there):mad: :mad: :mad:

Then I remember I haven't lowered the LSPV since I added my lift:doh: Well I checked a few threads here on mud and Bing Bang Boom lowered the suckered by .25 per the threads I read. Wouldn't you know it the damm vibration went away:) I guess I can take comfort that I have replaced all my brake parts.

:cheers: :cheers:

Satisfaction of getting rid of lingering issues is always so well worth it.

Best.
-o-

Lowered the lspv by .25 or 2.5 inches?

I pretty much followed the instructions I found on this thread which said to lower it down by .25 which was about three turns. All I know is that vibration is gone and the brakes a super smooth.

I pretty much followed the instructions I found on this thread which said to lower it down by .25 which was about three turns. All I know is that vibration is gone and the brakes a super smooth.

Well, I'm glad that the vibration went away, but that's not what the directions for lowering the lspv are, as far as I understand it. You can EITHER raise it by 2.5" at the axle (you would have to fab a bracket to do this), or lower the actual valve by .25". Even this is guess work, as you should adjust it until both the front and back tires, with abs disengaged, lock up for the same distance on a gravel road when the brakes are applied. You want to even up the proportion of stopping force from front to back (that is the function of the valve). The FSM has a more detailed method for actually achieving this effect properly, involving scales and pressure readers.

Well, I'm glad that the vibration went away, but that's not what the directions for lowering the lspv are, as far as I understand it. You can EITHER raise it by 2.5" at the axle (you would have to fab a bracket to do this), or lower the actual valve by .25". Even this is guess work, as you should adjust it until both the front and back tires, with abs disengaged, lock up for the same distance on a gravel road when the brakes are applied. You want to even up the proportion of stopping force from front to back (that is the function of the valve). The FSM has a more detailed method for actually achieving this effect properly, involving scales and pressure readers.

You're right, the directions were specific for a lift of 2.5" and stated to lower it by .25" per my 2.5" inch lift which is what I have. Getting rid of the vibration was a secondary effect.

You're right, the directions were specific for a lift of 2.5" and stated to lower it by .25" per my 2.5" inch lift which is what I have. Getting rid of the vibration was a secondary effect.

Sorry, Biff, I think that I was not as clear as I could be.

The directions telling you to "lower the valve" by .25" refer to lowering the valve at the bracket which holds the actual lspv. You do this by loosening two nuts and sliding the valve down on the bracket. This is different than "lowering" the lspv arm at the axle where you have the bracket and the screw and the nut and the locknut. If you "lowered" the lspv there, I think you actually put your lspv further out of adjustment.

I am not an expert. If you did something that worked, and your truck is stopping properly, then you are okay in my book.

Cheers,
Jay

Sorry, Biff, I think that I was not as clear as I could be.

The directions telling you to "lower the valve" by .25" refer to lowering the valve at the bracket which holds the actual lspv. You do this by loosening two nuts and sliding the valve down on the bracket. This is different than "lowering" the lspv arm at the axle where you have the bracket and the screw and the nut and the locknut. If you "lowered" the lspv there, I think you actually put your lspv further out of adjustment.

I am not an expert. If you did something that worked, and your truck is stopping properly, then you are okay in my book.

Cheers,
Jay

Jay,

I am mistaken, what I meant to say is that I lowered the bracket attached to the axle not the actual lspv.

Jay,

I am mistaken, what I meant to say is that I lowered the bracket attached to the axle not the actual lspv.

And in which case you should have raised the bracket on the axle. Lowering it is like adding more lift causing the proportioning to be less in the rear.

And in which case you should have raised the bracket on the axle. Lowering it is like adding more lift causing the proportioning to be less in the rear.

Crapp!!! I hope I didn't f' it up thanks for correcting me. I'll fix it and move the bracket that holds the lspv on the body.

Last edited:
I had a similar issue -- didn't adjust the LSPV at all for a while after the lift... then adjusted on the axle via the nuts (raised it 1/4"). I ended up toasting my NEW front rotors in the following months.

I recently went back and adjusted the LSPV itself down (about 1/4" -- at the frame) and did a bunch of test stops to get it balanced.

No more wabbling/pulling when breaking (due to new pads), and no more hot front wheels and warm rear wheels after hard breaking. Hopefully this set of rotors will last > 7K miles!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom