Adding skid armor to 24 gal LRA (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

kcjaz

SILVER Star
Threads
I know it’s debatable if adding armor to the 24 gal LRA tank is debatable but I’ve made that decision and will do it so the question is how to do it.

I know of at least one Mudd member (@Markuson ) who has done this. What I thought he did was have a shop weld SS plate to the tank. LRA told me not to weld anything to the tank as it will damage the aluminized steel the tank is made of. The suggested cold bonding like JB weld. Anyone done this? In my head, this seems easy to do. I’ll just cut a piece of 1/8” place to match the tank bottom and mix a big batch of JB and glue it in place. I’ve thought of adding straps or something but don’t think that’s really necessary.

I know it’s debatable if adding armor to the 24 gal LRA tank is debatable but I’ve made that decision and will do it so the question is how to do it.

I know of at least one Mudd member (@Markuson ) who has done this. What I thought he did was have a shop weld SS plate to the tank. LRA told me not to weld anything to the tank as it will damage the aluminized steel the tank is made of. The suggested cold bonding like JB weld. Anyone done this? In my head, this seems easy to do. I’ll just cut a piece of 1/8” place to match the tank bottom and mix a big batch of JB and glue it in place. I’ve thought of adding straps or something but don’t think that’s really necessary.

Mine was done at Valley Hybrids, which is Georg Esterer’s crew (Georg is in partnership with Ward Harris as importers of LRA). The weld job has been flawless and trouble free.

On mine, they cut a series of small circles to make a series of welds throughout…and of course welded the periphery.

Mine was done at Valley Hybrids, which is Georg Esterer’s crew (Georg is in partnership with Ward Harris as importers of LRA). The weld job has been flawless and trouble free.

On mine, they cut a series of small circles to make a series of welds throughout…and of course welded the periphery.
How long ago did you do that? Is your tank made from aluminized steel? I was a bit surprised when LRA said not to weld on the tank.

How long ago did you do that? Is your tank made from aluminized steel? I was a bit surprised when LRA said not to weld on the tank.
mine was the very first LRA 24 gallon to be test-installed on a truck with a Slee rear. Its been several years. Not sure about aluminized, as there was no choice or mention at that time. If they changed the metal, that is information I wasn’t aware of. So… 🤷🏻‍♂️ Good question.

I debated on welding plate to my 24g tank, but ultimately went without. I did have the tank Line-X lined to give a little increase in protection. The 24g tank tucks up pretty high and I have yet to hit it. Even with the Patriot trailer and full expedition weight I haven't contacted the tank. Trailer hitch has hit, but not the tank.

Last edited:
We were given the option and decided to weld a plate on our 40 gallon and lineX it, mostly because the 40 hangs fairly low. We’ve had a couple bumps back there that’s made us feel justified in the extra expense. As @Markuson mentioned above, there are circles cut out for welding purposes.
3A5CAC9E-E221-4A0B-B9D4-C53C2DAA7965.jpeg

ACA7E786-CC75-4729-B5A9-F0B639C91A6B.jpeg

607408BA-373E-4DC2-8560-333E2E498277.jpeg

For the 24 why not fab something that mounts to the frame instead? I’d feel even better if my armor wasn’t actually mounted to the tank but has a small gap between the tank and the extra plating. Just a thought, I’m fairness I’m not sure the layout and clearance of the 24

For the 24 why not fab something that mounts to the frame instead? I’d feel even better if my armor wasn’t actually mounted to the tank but has a small gap between the tank and the extra plating. Just a thought, I’m fairness I’m not sure the layout and clearance of the 24
I’ve thought about that but I’d have to look at one installed to see what might be possible. Adding 1/8” plate to the tank bottom would be pretty strong and really stronger than the same 1/8” plate with a gap as it would not have any reinforcement.

I'd do a thicker plate bolted to the frame, that is removable for cleaning, maintenance, etc. Maybe with 3/16" stainless or even aluminum. Sort of how I imagine budbuilt might build a skid for a LRA tank. I've considered adding a skid like this to my 12.5, but it is so tucked that I can't imagine any reasonable situation that would put it at risk of major contact that would damage it. The idea of JB Welding something to the tank seems agricultural and uneconomical to me - SEM makes some structural adhesives for the body repair industry that would be more suited to purpose. Are you bonding to the painted surface of the LRA? Seems like that just begs for failure of the paint to substrate bond.

I
I'd do a thicker plate bolted to the frame, that is removable for cleaning, maintenance, etc. Maybe with 3/16" stainless or even aluminum. Sort of how I imagine budbuilt might build a skid for a LRA tank. I've considered adding a skid like this to my 12.5, but it is so tucked that I can't imagine any reasonable situation that would put it at risk of major contact that would damage it. The idea of JB Welding something to the tank seems agricultural and uneconomical to me - SEM makes some structural adhesives for the body repair industry that would be more suited to purpose. Are you bonding to the painted surface of the LRA? Seems like that just begs for failure of the paint to substrate bond.
doubt I’d really use JB Weld. Likely some other type of adhesive and yeah, I’d have to do something with the paint.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom