Acorn HubCaps? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

So there is a set of 5 on EBay from Indonesia, said to be from Japan. Seller thinks they are old stock, he got them unpackaged amongst the inventory of a Toyota dealer.
They seem to have the two piece construction of Speedsail's, whose don't have drain holes, the Seller's have 3 holes. All the old ones I've seen have 2 drain holes.

I asked him to weigh them and they were 533 and 572 grams. Can anyone weigh Speedsail's, and originals? I don't have a scale.

20210201_201059.jpg

Last edited:
Speedsail hub caps are a little shorter than Toyota and MOJO hub caps.
It could have been a dream, but Im pretty sure I read somewhere that there was a shorter hub cap that was for the spare tire, might be what Speedsails was copied after??

IMG_8031.jpeg

Pics from Fernando in Indonesia, for when the sale is gone:
20210202_093224.jpg
20210202_093253.jpg
20210202_093238.jpg

Speedsails are great. I like OEM beat up ones for patina projects.

I just bought some from louis(speed sail) . Nice guy, he is local to me so I went and picked them up. I asked if he was getting low, and he said he just ordered another batch of 50! And he can always get more from the guy who made them for him. His little project turned into quite the business venture. He has sold over 500!! I remember before repro’s I had a hub cap addiction, at one point I had about 25 oem caps from rusty and crusty, to almost mint condition. Now with the repro,s it kinda took away the fun of finding originals. But am grateful to buy brand new shiny ones at a decent price!

Pondering how to tell chrome from stainless. A magnet sticks to speedsails and chrome plated originals. There are other invasive tests:

Source How to tell chrome from stainless steel? - https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/how-to-tell-chrome-from-stainless-steel.389052/

Lok
"Chrome is passive to most chemical corrosives or agents, Cu So4 being a good one to tell steel from chrome, as steel reacts and deposits copper on the surface. Stainless does not react though. So the magnetic test should be used for SS and Chromeplating. As said above Stainless isn't magnetic. If scrached Chrome plating will reveal a thin layer of copper that is usually needed for better adhesion. Chrome is usually of mirror polish, can be rough, and has a light color. Steel and Stainless is very light blueish (hard to see), is more matte as it cannot reflect light as good as chrome."

I read one rule of thumb that said if you can see your reflected face, it's probably chrome, but you can clearly see yourself in Speedsails caps. They are that good.

There is rumored to be another test. Chrome is said not to get you home, but has another desired attribute... ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom