Accord... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

e9999

Gotta get outta here...
Threads
sheesh... I'm close to 90K. Timing belt replacement is looming..... '95. Looks like a pain/big job....

Anybody done it on a 94-97 Accord?

sheesh... I'm close to 90K. Timing belt replacement is looming..... '95. Looks like a pain/big job....

Anybody done it on a 94-97 Accord?

2.2L I assume......... same as a 90-93 also, not horrible but not fun either, You can count on 3-6 hours for the first time.

Replace waterpump and thermostat at the same time, and have the three oil seals (cam, crank & balance shaft) handy in case any of them are seeping/leaking.

You will also want to get the ps pump pressure hose o-ring from the dealer, the hose is right in the way.
Also the two OEM springs for the tensioners for the timing and balance shaft belt.

Do you have good service info/manual?

Air pressure and an impact are handy for the crank bolt.
or
one of these
Crank Pulley Holding Tool for Honda and Acura
or
I've been able to wedge a screwdriver against the flywheel and the transaxle bellhousing.

I also bought one of these sets for the seals, not much room in there.
Shop Tools
I would be surprised if the oil seals were leaking at 90,000......just good to have on hand.

I've got a 92 Accord with 290,000 miles and I've been in my cover three times now.

I guess if you've got the V6 disregard all of this. :flipoff2:

I did it in my '98 Acura CL, which is the same body as the earlier Accords. It had the V6. The dealer sold me a timing belt kit for $200 that included the water pump. I recall $500 for the dealer to do it. Looking back, I should have just paid the dealer.

Loosening the crank bolt was a PITA. I broke two sockets, and I was using the special tool. I remember it was difficult to reach everything.

I still have the crank pulley socket (for holding the crank while loosening the big bolt) and the tensioner tool. If you decide to do it yourself, let me know. I'll sell / loan you the tools. I don't need them anymore.

I did it on my old 91 Accord and have a 130something on my 96 so I'm way overdue. All the parts are in the garage waiting........:)

Long time ago, but I remember it being no big deal if you have a garage and some time to spend. It took us a good 8 or 9 hours figuring it out as we went. Now it could be 4 or 5 hours I suppose with the help of the wonderful web.

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums - Powered by vBulletin

This has been a good site for the few things I've done on my wagon.

thanks, yes, a 2.2 VTEC.

thanks for the headsup on other parts needed.

Not a lot of room in there, man, we are spoiled with the cruisers...

Only got a Hayes manual, but seems OK for that part. (May reluctantly splurge on FSM if I decide to get in there.) Yes, they do talk about sticking a screwdriver in the flywheel... Makes me nervous....

Good web site to buy OEM Honda parts?

Yes, would be nice to be able to borrow some specialized tools, thanks!

Will do some more reading... (and get some dealer quotes, hate that though..)

thanks, yes, a 2.2 VTEC.

thanks for the headsup on other parts needed.

Not a lot of room in there, man, we are spoiled with the cruisers...

Only got a Hayes manual, but seems OK for that part. (May reluctantly splurge on FSM if I decide to get in there.) Yes, they do talk about sticking a screwdriver in the flywheel... Makes me nervous....

Good web site to buy OEM Honda parts?

Yes, would be nice to be able to borrow some specialized tools, thanks!

Will do some more reading... (and get some dealer quotes, hate that though..)

VTEC :doh: Vtec is Dual OHC right?
Mine was the single OHC 2.2L Don't think a lot is different, extra cam seal, longer belt......... IDK for sure though.
Even less room I'm sure.:bang:

I use "Honda Parts" - Honda Parts & Honda Accessories Below Dealer Wholesale. for my cheap chit...... out of Fife, WA......... don't know where you are located.

yes, DOHC. The VTEC has 3 rocker arms per intake valve or something like that.
Don't know if the belt is different over the regular 2.2 but the rocker shaft must be, it has an internal oil flow system to activate the valve stuff....

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom