Accelerator Pedal Problem (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am running a Holley carb on my 40, which evidently necessitated the removal of the stock pedal and linkages that would have gone with the 2F carb. This carb was the result of the PO and not me.

I dont have any complaints about the carburetor, but the pedal is REAL sticky. I can push it down about 1/8 - 1/4" and then I have to mash on it pretty good to get it to go down the rest of the way. There isnt anything wrong with the carb, it moves fine on that end.

I am curious if anyone here is using the Holley, and if so, did you have a similar problem? Is it the cable I need to replace, or should I pull the pedal and see if something is wrong there?

Can the cable be lubed?

Thanks!

I had a similiar problem on my 40 with a ford v8. Where the cable goes through the firewall, my cable (due to the new angle) had started to cut into the firewall. This would cause the pedal to stick. Not thinking much about it, this eventually frayed the cable. Well, one day I stop at a light, push in the clutch and my RPM's are soaring. I shut it down real quick and discovered the throttle cable was stuck due to the mess the frayed cable became.

There is a little grommet in the firewall that the cable is threaded through. Check it out and see if your cable is cutting into it. Check the condition of the cable too. I fab'd up a new sleeve for the firewall and replaced my cable. Been 2 years now and it's still working smooth. Odds are, if your carb linkage and return spring are good, you probably have a similar problem. I lubed up the spring in the pedal too.

Good luck
Scott

Thanks Scott. I will check on that when I go home today. :)

What did you find out? Was that it?

I didnt get to check. Yesterday was my birthday and I ended up going out with the gf and was too busy to see. Its raining today and if it clears up a little I will check when I get home. While I was out last night I was thinking about it though, and what you said was probbably exactly what the problem is.

Hopefully it will be a cheap fix.

Update:

The PO decided that since the cable was too long when he installed it that it would be ok if he put a loop in it to make it shorter.

Idiot. :mad:

Looping it isn't necessarily bad, as long as it's not a tight bindy loop. Pull the cable out of the sheath, and clean and lube both. If you want it shorter, you can cut down both...

This loop was small enough to cause binding. I pulled it and cut the cable shorter. Now its real nice and smooth.

Now I know that I really need to get a new distributor, the advance on mine is siezed and wont work. Once I get it up to speed and the secondaries on the carb are open for a few seconds there is some hesitation. I could prolly go for the HEI setup, or even a newer 2F dist would be fine too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom