Ac grinding noise (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Weather is heating up and an AC issue has raised its head. When the car is warm and I am at a stop for more than 30 seconds or so, it starts to make a very loud grinding noise. Is this compressor? Not enough refrigerant?

Weather is heating up and an AC issue has raised its head. When the car is warm and I am at a stop for more than 30 seconds or so, it starts to make a very loud grinding noise. Is this compressor? Not enough refrigerant?

How is the cooling? If it is good, the problem may be the AC clutch and not the refrigerant.

You'll need to just start with the basics and inspect under the hood. Maybe the AC Clutch is going bad?

Does the grinding go hand and hand with engine rpm's? Remove the serpentine belt and run the engine, see if the noise goes away. If it does start spinning pulleys. If something is grinding you should be able to narrow it down pretty quickly

>> Or maybe just put a stethoscope on the AC compressor while the grinding is happening to see if you can sort it out that way

You'll need to just start with the basics and inspect under the hood. Maybe the AC Clutch is going bad?

Does the grinding go hand and hand with engine rpm's? Remove the serpentine belt and run the engine, see if the noise goes away. If it does start spinning pulleys. If something is grinding you should be able to narrow it down pretty quickly

>> Or maybe just put a stethoscope on the AC compressor while the grinding is happening to see if you can sort it out that way

I agree remove the belt and hand spin all the pullies if nothing then start it.

It doesn’t seem to be related to rpm. It’s tough to diagnose because it’s only done it a handful of times. It’s almost like the refrigerant is boiling and messing with the compressor. Only happens when hot and idling at a stop light. I’ve tried to replicate in my driveway but have been unsuccessful. There’s no noise 99% of the time, but when it happens it’s pretty concerning.

I have noticed it doesn’t seem to be cooling as well as it should, and when humid I see condensation coming out of the vents.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom