AC Evaporator Box and expansion valve (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Mechanic said that I need a new Evaporator Box and expansion valve. Then he said $980. I gasped and figured I would give it a shot myself. I would say I have a moderate mechanical ability. (is this even a good idea ?)

The OEM Evaporator Core is $330 and an aftermarket core by Denso is $88.00. Does anyone have any experience with installing a non-OEM evaporator core?

Last question just for clarity; I assume an evaporator box and an evaporator core are the same thing.

Denso is OEM. Search is your friend as rebuilding the entire a/c system is well documented from troubleshooting, to part numbers, to r134a conversions, and r12 alternatives. There isn’t one thread with every answer but there is a wealth of knowledge.

All new Denso components are available (compressor, condenser, evaporator, expansion valve, drier) and the only thing you need from Toyota for the typical overall is the pressure switch (a $10 part) for an fj62 at least. I’d imagine it’s similar for 60.

For the box, the classifieds here will be your friend. The core sits in the box. It’s the black plastic box under your passenger side dash. If it’s cracked you’ll need a new one. You may also be able to repair it.

Last edited:
Not as much technical as methodical and patience. That evaporator box is a bear to coax out and then to get back in if I recall. Your post says you've got moderate technical ability so I'd say your covered. That thread was all I had to use and I got it done. You'll be stoked when that thing is blowing cold as we get into August and September.

Really it is super simple. Once you understand how it comes out, going back in is even easier.

While you are in there, it will give you a chance to clean everything out.
You do not need to pull the heater box.

$980 is brutal. Took me about 1 hour total to pull, change over the unit and reinstall.

There are a few posts on here that show how it is done. Really on a 60 is is very easy.

Last edited:
I have ordered the new Denso evaporator core and expansion valve, I am not planning on recharging the system with refrigerant but having a AC shop do that portion. I was curious if I have to add oil to either of the parts that I am installing.

No but I’d ask the ac shop their opinion too

How do they know you need a new evaporator? I typically replace the expansion valve when I work on A/C systems because it is cheap and while I have the unit out, I clean it up and see what condition it is in. Since it sounds like the unit hasn't been removed, just curious how they know that it is bad?

Well thats a great question. I have taken the truck in 2 times to have the system charged. Both times it has leaked out. The guy says they have done a dye test and "it was a gasket" then when it did it again he said they bought some special machine that figured out it was a leak in the evaporator core. He said they would replace the valve b/c they were already down there. Does that sound plausible, is there a machine that can detect a leak in the core ?

I sure am no expert so I'm not qualified to say. Again, I would pull the evap and inspect before I bought a replacement.

Lol never heard of a machine it is plausible that they ran die through it and had it running long enough to see die coming out of the drain tube. I just replaced every part of the ac system except for ac compressor (ls swap) when i pulled the evaporator coil out it looked like a porcupine from all the little pine needles or evergreen trees it was from Washington State and was leaking there looked like plenty of die had been ran through it and ac system was empty when the 60 got to my shop. Its worth a look and not all that expensive for all the parts and the ac is up and running on it and will straight freeze you out when it over 90 outside.

And all parts came from rock auto except the low pressure switch that is located inside the ac box along with thermo coupler it is also for 134a instead of r12

Bringing this one back up because I haven't found a good answer anywhere: I redid my AC and the Denso expansion valve I purchased requires an (included) adapter. That doesn't feel OEM to me? I cant imagine that the expansion valve installed by Toyota would require an adapter?

Did a get a mislabeled part? Anyone else run into this? @jmath or @tmxmotorsports ?

Easy job that shouldn’t take more than an hour. You don’t need to take the dash out. Take out the glove box liner thing and just loosen the screws for the parts on the transmission tunnel. WIth right shake and shimmy it’ll come out no problem

Couple pics

Screenshot_20190919-192039.png

Screenshot_20190919-191920.png

Screenshot_20190919-191955.png

No adapter i think i remember one of the listings saying something about an adapter but went with one without let me look at the parts i have here for another 60 that i am replacing all thr ac stuff on and see if i have a pert number for ya.
Tommy

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom