ABS failure, advice needed (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My dad has owned an '07 FJ Cruiser since new, and his ABS just went out. As he was driving a warning beep came on, accompanied by the BRAKE and ABS lights on the dash. He was able to pull over and stop. But when he restarted his truck he had very little brakes. He had it towed to the dealer and they told him it was the ABS Pump Actuator, and they wanted $2100 to replace it.

Looking on Mud, I see several ABS pump failures in the 100 Series forum, but essentially nothing in the FJ Cruiser forum. Is this a common problem? Is there maybe a sensor failure that could be causing the ABS module to shut down? If it likely is the ABS pump actuator, how hard is it to replace, and is there a non-Toyota equivalent that would be better to buy?

A couple other things worth mentioning: He has had an A-TRAC switch installed since early on, but it did not come with that option. He has been concerned about a buzzing noise that can be heard from outside of the vehicle while it is running, but the dealer has said it is normal and has to do with the brake system pressurizing itself.

Any help is appreciated. I can even add some pics of his cruiser or some sweet pics of remote places in UT/AZ/NV he has visited in it to this thread if it helps.

UPDATE:
This seems to be the buzzing noise my dad has been hearing since day one. I don't think it's related to his ABS problems, though.

Last edited:
How bad does he want ABS? On another vehicle I had ABS issues, so I just unplugged the ABS control module. The warning lights went out and the brakes work fine, just no ABS. Now, that was an older vehicle and I don't know if this will work for an FJC with all the electronics they have these days, but might be worth a try.

How bad does he want ABS? On another vehicle I had ABS issues, so I just unplugged the ABS control module. The warning lights went out and the brakes work fine, just no ABS. Now, that was an older vehicle and I don't know if this will work for an FJC with all the electronics they have these days, but might be worth a try.

Its not the abs. You can't just unplug some connectors and go on your merry way. Its the failure of the electric pump or the accumulator. Power brakes, some have vacuum booster, these have electric pumps that builds pressure in the accumulator which assist in stopping the truck. The beep is usually a warning when the accumulator looses pressure.

I have no experience in rebuilding these. I usually just replace the whole actuator. Get a price from one of our vendors.

I have not heard of many failures in the FJC world. That price to fix seems about normal (although more than most want to spend). If you wanted to buy the parts yourself and replace them in your driveway, I suggest you contact one of our forum vendors instead of buying from the dealership. They sell OEM Toyota parts cheaper. Its likely you'll need to flash the ECU once the new parts are installed however, and that's a job for the dealership techs or a very reputable local mechanic with the proper scan/flash software.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom